"sailing family"

Vessel Name: Island Spirit
Vessel Make/Model: 2005 Fontaine Pajot Bahia
Hailing Port: St Thomas,crown bay
Crew: Tom, Rhonda, Savannah, Slugger, Lexie & Beetlejuice
About:
On 12/27/10 the truck loaded 750 lbs. of things we thought we could not live without. (we'll see) And today is my last official day of work! On 01/07/11 we will arrive in St. Thomas, VI, take the ferry to Roadtown, Tortola & spend the first night in our new home, "Island Spirit. [...]
Extra:
The crew.. Tom & I are in our early 40's (very young!) and Savannah is our beautiful 7 yr. old daughter. Slugger, Lexie & Beetlejuice are the furrier side of the family I refuse to leave behind. We love the ocean, sun & sailing. Quite simply, we are a family that is in need of a change so we [...]
13 May 2011
12 May 2011
10 May 2011 | from Dry Tortugas
02 May 2011 | Louisville, Ky.
24 April 2011
23 April 2011
15 April 2011
04 April 2011 | Water Island, USVI
21 March 2011 | bvi's
15 March 2011
07 March 2011
02 March 2011
26 February 2011
26 February 2011
23 February 2011
20 February 2011
18 February 2011 | Culebrita, Puerto Rico
15 February 2011 | Water Island, USVI
10 February 2011
Recent Blog Posts
13 May 2011

May 13, 2011

12 May 2011

May 12, 2011

10 May 2011 | from Dry Tortugas

May 10, 2011

07 May 2011

Key West here we come!!

May 6, 2011

02 May 2011 | Louisville, Ky.

May 2, 2011

24 April 2011

Happy Easter

April 24, 2011

15 April 2011
April 12, 2011
Tuesday

Hi All,

As I write we are sailing back from Anegada; located in the British Virgin Islands. We decided to do one more trip through the BVI's with Capt. Wally and Holly and Larry Klaas on their boat Electra. Anegada is a small flat island with the whitest, most beautiful beaches and is known for their yummy fresh lobster dinners. Last night the six of us sat at a folding table by the ocean, candles for light, our feet in the sand enjoying a lobster dinner caught fresh just hours before. It was bittersweet. The island and it's beauty is beyond words. If you are ever searching for a place to disappear and just be with yourself for days at a time; make note, this is one of those places.

Capt. Wally joined us last Monday evening. He is from Maine and has spent many years JHNMMMMMMWE33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 (that's Beetlejuice walking over the keys on my netbook; he says hello.) and is slowly, but surely whipping us (and Island Spirit) into shape for our journey to the Bahamas. Wally is his nickname and he has fit in with us with ease. He has white hair, a small pony tail off the back, a white mustache and beard and glasses. He is generally quiet, but has a nice sense of humor too. Speaking of ponytails, Tom's hair is so long now we can get one his hair! (Pictures are forthcoming)

I was all too impressed last week when Wally reeled in a nice size fish then proceeded to clean it off the back of the boat while we were underway in large swells! I asked, do you want a life jacket or something while you're out there? Nope, he replied. Just come back and get me if I fall off. As he cleaned the fish I brought him needed items. At one point he asked for some cheap white rum. I thought hmmm... shots? Right now? Nope, he was much more practical. He used the vodka I brought (Absolute; nothing too cheap on the boat these days) and poured some in the gills of the fish. He explained it put the fish to sleep while being dissected. And sure enough, the fish became still and almost comatose! Now that I think of it, Absolute has had that effect at times, on more than just fish!

Last week on our trip to St. John we had some rough water. Beetlejuice wasn't having a good trip and did his usual, "refunding" of breakfast. This time on my rug, which is actually one of the towels that was used when this boat was in charter. I use it as a rug.. much easier to wash! Anyway, Beetlejuice then came outside and began trying to go toward the front of the boat! I wouldn't let him, but wondered if he needed his cat box which is located outside on the starboard side. So I retrieved the cat box and sure enough that's what he needed, but not for what he usually uses it for... this time he climbed inside it and proceeded to sleep there for the next 4-5 hours! Now that's what being seasick will do for ya!

It is now Thursday, April 14th and I am just getting around to finishing this blog. Just a few moments ago Wally stuck his head in the door and said, "Dolphin, outside and pointed toward the port side (left). I jumped up in time to watch three beautiful dolphins swim right by our boat anchored here at Honeymoon Beach, Water Island. This is the first we have seen them here. They proceeded to swim, side by side, up toward the roped off swimming area then slowly made their way back by our boat, swimming and playing. They are incredible creatures; I am in awe of them.

Speaking of creatures, yesterday we dinghied over to CYOA in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas. This is just a short trip and the home of where we chartered our sailboats in years past. As Tom and Wally talked, "boats" with one of our friends Savannah and I went into the restaurant, "Hook, Line and Sinker" for some fruit and veggie scraps to feed the iguanas. There are 4-5 large, adult iguana's that live under the rocks there and have for as long as I can remember. They are used to people and will shimmy over to you for a few bites of nummies if you offer them. Sometimes they get a little excited and if you aren't paying close enough attention will help themselves to a bite of goodies right out of your hand when you aren't paying attention. Now these iguana's are about two feet or longer in length and this happens as you are squatted to offer them food. Anyway, point being, that no matter how fond one may be of God's scaley green creatures, it is always startling to catch a glimpse out of the corner of your eye of one of these guys so close to your appendages when you're focused on one of their other buddies. These guys are so used to people some of them will even let you pet them, which of course we do.

April 15th; tax day. Blah, blah, blah! We are still here at Water Island and plan to leave and head toward our first stop in Puerto Rico on Tuesday the 19th. Savannah & I will be jumping ship there is San Juan and catching a flight to Nassau on the 22nd. Tom and Wally will sail on toward the Dominican Republic, Turks & Caicos and then to the southern most island in the Bahamas; Mayaguana (pronounced My-iguana... no kidding!). Savannah and I will spend a few days at a bed and breakfast in Nassau over Easter weekend and then catch a puddle jumper to Mayaguana to meet Tom & Wally. The decision to not sail the long passages with them was a difficult one. I have gone back and forth over it knowing that whatever decision I made I would wonder if I should have chosen the opposite.

All for now. Rhonda

Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups