Frisky Cruising Adventures

Sailing our new Maverick catamaran from Cape Town South Africa to the US East Coast

14 July 2018 | Kennebunkport ME
09 July 2018 | Massachusetts
06 July 2018 | Boston
30 June 2018 | Massachusetts
22 June 2018 | Fall River Massachusetts
20 June 2018 | Narragansett Bay
08 June 2018 | Connectictu
31 May 2018 | New York City
29 May 2018 | New York City
12 May 2018 | Gulf Stream North
08 May 2018 | Florida
07 May 2018 | East Coast USA
06 May 2018 | Bahamas
30 April 2018 | Nassau Bahamas
25 April 2018 | Bahamas
23 April 2018 | Exuma Land and Sea Park

Purrrfect Panama Canal Transit

08 February 2016 | Panama Canal
Linda
After our experience with Stuart and Anne on Time Bandit the prior week, we felt prepared for our own boat's Canal transit on February 7-8. We needed 4 line handlers and posted an note on the Marina bulletin board which yielded more people than we could use! We selected two couples to join us. Ken and Sally from Arizona were very experienced long distance cruisers some years ago and just wanted the "final" experience of transiting the canal. The second couple were from France, younger, backpacking on their vacation in Panama. Lucas and Cecile both had boating experience too. Lucas had his captain's license and had captained numerous vessels in the Caribbean. Cecile had experience with boats living in Marseille France. All 4 were delightful guests on board and did an excellent job of enthusiastic line handling.
Just as on the prior week when we transited with Time Bandit, we were instructed to wait for our advisor by anchoring near Colon. But this time the advisor did not arrive until nearly 4:30 pm.
We were rafted with another sail boat and placed behind a huge cruise ship into each Gatun Lock. This was different than the prior week with Time Bandit in which there were 15 boats in 5 rafts in the lock together. The benefit of being in the lock with a huge cruise ship was that the water filled more quickly and there were less boats to position with linehandlers. Therefore our transit of the 3 Gatun locks actually went quickly and once again we were safely rafted up at the Lake buoy just at sunset.
Thankfully there was a cool breeze for our night on the lake so sleeping was easier than the prior week.
Once again we were told that our second day advisor would arrive at 8:30 am. When that time came and went, we learned via radio that the advisors would come at 10:30 am. Hurry up and Wait again! However, when our advisor arrived we learned that he would allow us to use our genoa to sail down the Gatun Lake to the Pedro Miguel lock. This was a pleasant boost to our speed for the 28 miles down the lake.
Our placement for the second day of locks was alongside a day tour boat, so we were not tied to the wall of the lock at all but rather we would tie and untie from the tour boat. There was about 20 knots of wind from behind during these maneuvers so Dave was glad to have two engines to help in the positioning. In the lock next to us (there are two sets of parallel locks) was a giant Princess cruise ship full of passengers on all the decks watching the experience.
Because of the later start that morning, we didn't enter Pacific water until dusk. Ken and Sally explained the sea ritual we were to perform as the boat entered Pacific waters for the first time. We poured a glass of wine into the water for King Neptune and tossed a few coins in for Queen Neptune as well. Even though our registered home port for Purrrfect is Ventura CA, this was the first time that she had touched the waters of the Pacific Ocean. Dave also toasted Linda since it was her birthday!
To our delight, our Scottish friends on Time Bandit were still at anchor at La Playita and saw us on AIS, arriving in the now pitch dark to anchor. Thanks to their good directions we safely anchored near them and had a satisfied deep sleep.

Comments
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Make/Model: Maverick 400 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Ventura California
Extra: Sailing our NEW Maverick catamaran from Cape Town South Africa across the southern Atlantic, crossing the equator into the Caribbean and the East Coast USA
Frisky's Photos - Main
Island 1200 miles from west coast of Africa. Stop en route across southern Atlantic Ocean
4 Photos
Created 10 November 2017
Crossing the southern Atlantic Ocean from Cape Town South Africa to Trinidad in the Caribbean with new catamaran, Frisky. 6000 miles
7 Photos
Created 10 November 2017
Racing round St Lucia and Heineken Regatta in St Martin
17 Photos
Created 14 March 2015
From Canary Islands to Cape Verde to St Lucia
88 Photos
Created 28 January 2015
Mindelo marina and island tour Nov 2014
22 Photos
Created 28 January 2015
30 Photos
Created 28 January 2015
Photos from Dec 2014 through spring 2015
35 Photos
Created 28 January 2015
Inland Turkey with amazing rock formations
56 Photos
Created 8 September 2013
Mosques, churches, palaces and forts
22 Photos
Created 8 September 2013
Resort on Sicily Italy
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2013
Ancient city ruins
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2013
Monastery and Windmills on Patmos Island
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2013
Anchorages and harbors in Turkey
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2013
Ancient ruins at Ephesus
4 Photos
Created 22 July 2013
Sites in Malta
13 Photos
Created 23 May 2013
Sites in Tunisia and Boat Yard
14 Photos
Created 23 May 2013