Frisky Cruising Adventures

Sailing our new Maverick catamaran from Cape Town South Africa to the US East Coast

14 July 2018 | Kennebunkport ME
09 July 2018 | Massachusetts
06 July 2018 | Boston
30 June 2018 | Massachusetts
22 June 2018 | Fall River Massachusetts
20 June 2018 | Narragansett Bay
08 June 2018 | Connectictu
31 May 2018 | New York City
29 May 2018 | New York City
12 May 2018 | Gulf Stream North
08 May 2018 | Florida
07 May 2018 | East Coast USA
06 May 2018 | Bahamas
30 April 2018 | Nassau Bahamas
25 April 2018 | Bahamas
23 April 2018 | Exuma Land and Sea Park

What is a "Souse"?

14 April 2018 | Clarencetown Bahamas
Linda
During our 3 day stay at Clarence Town, there was quite a bit of wind which was pushing us away from the dock. Except for the squeaking dock lines, this seemed like a good thing until we realized that the boat was too far away from the dock to get off with a huge step or mighty leap. So we finally lassoed a piling and winched the boat in so we could disembark.
Once again, we rented a car for the day and drove the entire length of Long Island (appropriately named) . One can’t get lost here since there is only ONE main road, running the length of the island. At the north end, we drove over a dirt road full of ruts to …..ANOTHER Columbus monument. It seems that Columbus ships landed here. In fact the north point of the island is named Cape Santa Maria after one of Columbus ships which went aground here on the outlying coral reef. Knowing that we had to sail around that same cape the next day, we took note of how far out the reef extended.
On the drive north, we stopped at a tiny farmer’s market to buy some homegrown tomatoes. We also discovered an excellent small chandlery where we picked up some marine wire for one of Dave’s boat projects.
Provisioning for groceries was a challenge throughout the Bahamas. We found several stores with quite a bit on the shelves but the PRICES were crazy high. A box of crackers for $8. A small bag of cookies for $5. We wondered how the Bahamians were able to buy things, but I guess they don’t buy such packaged goods.
While we were driving along the main….and only…..road on Long Island, we saw a sign at a church: “Souse 7 am Saturday”. We weren’t sure what a “souse” was so we pulled into the parking lot to ask some members standing around about this event. It seemed odd to have a drinking party (which is what we thought “souse” was) at 7 am at a church. The members assured us that a “souse” was a large breakfast with lots of fish, chicken etc. It was a fund raising event for a local school.
Another attraction on Long Island are the many lovely small churches. It seems that Father Jerome, an Anglican priest, turned Roman Catholic, good architect, built several of these small churches. The largest church sits on a hill with a panoramic view over the entire south side of the island.
For lunch we enjoyed local conch dishes at the highly recommended Max’s Conch Bar. We shared an excellent fresh conch salad and crack conch dinner (“Crack” means fried – not the opioid version). Other cruisers were there too and we gained a lot of local knowledge about anchorages in the Bahamas over some cold beer and conch.
That night there was “fish fry” held on the commercial pier in town, close to our marina. The crowd grew as the evening progressed along with the sound from the DJ speakers. This loud music along with the Bahamian accent made ordering food at the barbeque stand a challenge. After several attempts to learn what was available, Dave thought he had ordered one barbeque chicken and one barbeque pork --- oh wait, pork is all gone. How about shrimp? Wait, shrimp is all gone. Well, just give us what you have! Two dinners of chicken were produced along with rice and beans and “macaroni salad” which is really macaroni and cheese in a square block like lasagna. Actually all VERY TASTY!
After returning to the boat from the fish fry, Dave discovered our boat keys were missing. We searched the car floor, the parking lot and finally drove back to the fish fry to search that dirt parking lot. Dave asked at the food stall and was told that someone had found a set of keys and turned them in to the DJ. Keys retrieved – nice to be in an honest community!
After two nights at the marina in Clarencetown marina, we sailed around the infamous Cape Santa Maria to Calabash Bay for a peaceful night at anchor. The coral heads and reefs were scattered around but we were starting to gain some expertise at recognizing the water colors. Linda would stand on the bow with a set of headsets spotting the darker patches to avoid. Sometimes the dark patches “moved” which meant it was a cloud shadow and not a coral reef.
Comments
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Make/Model: Maverick 400 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Ventura California
Extra: Sailing our NEW Maverick catamaran from Cape Town South Africa across the southern Atlantic, crossing the equator into the Caribbean and the East Coast USA
Frisky's Photos - Main
Island 1200 miles from west coast of Africa. Stop en route across southern Atlantic Ocean
4 Photos
Created 10 November 2017
Crossing the southern Atlantic Ocean from Cape Town South Africa to Trinidad in the Caribbean with new catamaran, Frisky. 6000 miles
7 Photos
Created 10 November 2017
Racing round St Lucia and Heineken Regatta in St Martin
17 Photos
Created 14 March 2015
From Canary Islands to Cape Verde to St Lucia
88 Photos
Created 28 January 2015
Mindelo marina and island tour Nov 2014
22 Photos
Created 28 January 2015
30 Photos
Created 28 January 2015
Photos from Dec 2014 through spring 2015
35 Photos
Created 28 January 2015
Inland Turkey with amazing rock formations
56 Photos
Created 8 September 2013
Mosques, churches, palaces and forts
22 Photos
Created 8 September 2013
Resort on Sicily Italy
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2013
Ancient city ruins
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2013
Monastery and Windmills on Patmos Island
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2013
Anchorages and harbors in Turkey
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2013
Ancient ruins at Ephesus
4 Photos
Created 22 July 2013
Sites in Malta
13 Photos
Created 23 May 2013
Sites in Tunisia and Boat Yard
14 Photos
Created 23 May 2013