Sailing Joy

24 November 2019 | Capsized at Entrance to St Simon's Sound
06 October 2019 | At Sea with the Big Boys
19 April 2019 | Storm Approaching
11 April 2019 | SpaceX Launch
05 April 2019 | One of our passer bys while anchored at Ft Pierce
04 April 2019 | AIS Image of Caribbean and SW North Atlantic
01 April 2019 | Leaving key West
28 March 2019 | St Patrick's Day 5k
28 March 2019 | Diana's Barracuda
28 March 2019 | Fishing from Lucky Charm
28 March 2019 | Bandstand at Irish Kevin's
28 March 2019 | Clean-up on Bahia Honda
02 March 2019 | Entering Key West Bight
27 February 2019 | Storm at Seven Mile Bridge
26 February 2019
22 February 2019 | Clubhoouse at Chub Cay
06 February 2019 | Definition of Cruising: Fixing your boat in exotic places
28 January 2019 | Kids Swinging on Chat 'N Chill Beach
18 January 2019 | Our anchorage at George Town
11 January 2019 | Our friends from Arcadia at Hidden Treasures

One degree of separation-Nelson Mandela

08 April 2014 | Rock Sound, Eleuthera, The. Bahamas
Trying to describe our experience to friends has been difficult for most of the cruisers we have met. It's difficult to get the daily surprises and joys across in words.

Just yesterday we arrived at a small harbor where we planned to hide during this week's weather front (now on the east coast of Florida but arriving tonight with 30 knot winds).

We found Cerulean anchored nearby, our favorite cruisers, whom we met back in January at a beautiful marina called Highbourne Cay, Christopher and Robin. Hard to forget their names from Winnie the Pooh fame. They immediately called us on the vhf to make plans for our stay. First to go to shore and swim in an ocean hole. We met on land and walked towards the church and greeted a young man to ask for directions. In the Bahamas, if you don't greet someone with, "Hello, how are you. What a beautiful day! Or So nice to see you" they will not give you the time of day. They will ignore you and be gruff. It is just plain rude here not to first greet everyone! So if you just go up and ask for directions, they almost grunt and stay quiet as if you don't exist. We then walked inland 1/2 block, ( you don't get far before something happens) and we ran into a man with no shirt, no shoes. His house had just burned down and he held all his worldly posessions in one hand. His flip flops, a pair of pants and clean inderwear. After listening to his personal tragedy of not having any family on the island, he told is that he still "sugar boogies". He felt that if he still dances that all will be well. After telling him to zip his fly (which he didn't), we moved on but it was very difficult not to give him the clothes off our backs.

At the ocean hole we ran into some high school kids from Richmond, Virginia, on a mission, painting a church on the island. We all went swimming by jumping into a 600 foot deep ocean hole. There was also a couple from Connecticut spending their anniversary nearby and some cruisers.

When we got back to the dinghy dock, the day's catch was being cleaned by the fishermen and the dock was surrounded by sharks waiting for scraps. Nurse sharks are harmless but no one will challenge that statement. ( especially John who recently cleaned the bottom of the boat before he realized there was a nurse shark right by the ladder as he returned on board)

Since it was Sunday, most places were closed but we heard of a restaurant on the ocean side, that would come and pick us up at the church at 6 pm and bring us back after dinner. We had to order early so she could plan quantities. Nassau grouper! Sides of plantains, peas and rice and fresh veggies.
Rosie, the proprietor, picked us up in her little Honda and drove back on a paved road until we reached a rocky dirt one and arrived at the most beautiful beach imaginable. Her place was rustic but charming. Her fat yellow lab (surely her guests overfed him) and a white cat greeted us as we walked on a sand floor in the bar and out to a deck where Rosie served us rum punches and went off to cook dinner. Since NorthSide is also a resort ( she had 4 cottages) there were other guests for dinner. A Canadian couple and one from St Louis! The St Louis couple have a farm and sell vegetables at the Farmers Market where we go almost every Saturday! Friends forever!

After dinner, Rosie, who cooks, cleans, washes dishes and everything else at NorthSide, sat down with us and showed us photographs of all her children and big events on her life. How this Bahamian woman put 5 kids through college, one at London School of Economics all by herself, God only knows. She is a widow and keeps active and young from all the demands but still sweet, warm and joyful! One of her photos is of her shaking hands with Nelson Mandela, as he came to Eleuthera after he got out of jail for a rest. What a woman.

She drove us back but not before we got a full tour of town, her chuch, the gas station, the laundry. We returned to our boat lfor carrot cake (that Ida from the laundromat at Great Guana Cay had made for me) and some Frangelica that Chris and Robin brought over. We sat and laughed until the moon came out and after they dinghied back to their boat, John and I slept under the stars, as we do every night as the open hatch is right over our heads.


Comments
Vessel Name: Joy
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina Morgan 440
Hailing Port: Vandemere, NC
Crew: John Lark and Diana Borja
About:
John has extensive racing experience on Lasers in Regional races near St Louis and in National competition and previously owned an Erickson 34 and a Sabre 38. Diana has also raced as crew on C&Cs, J14, J36 and on her Ranger 26 (Tango). [...]
Extra: John and Diana moved to the Pamlico Plantation near Washington, NC in September of 2018.
Social:
Joy's Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 2 December 2018
Photos taken at St. Mary's for the Cruisers Thanksgiving
2 Photos
Created 23 November 2018
Misc photos of 2017-18 cruise
5 Photos
Created 1 May 2018
Hopetown is a lovely island with one of the most picturesque towns
8 Photos
Created 30 April 2018
4 Photos
Created 30 April 2018
These were shot from Kurt's Drone off the bow on Arctic cat
2 Photos
Created 30 April 2018
3 Photos
Created 13 March 2018
Governors Harbour, Eleuthera
3 Photos
Created 2 March 2018
A few photos of one of our favorite Cities during our Winter Wonderland stop!
4 Photos
Created 3 January 2018
2 Photos
Created 18 January 2017
2 Photos
Created 6 January 2017
3 Photos
Created 6 January 2017
Museum and Gardens in South Miami
1 Photo
Created 6 January 2017
3 Photos
Created 11 December 2016
No Photos
Created 6 December 2016
5 Photos
Created 24 November 2016
5 Photos
Created 1 November 2016
Our day at the Farmers Market in Charleston
5 Photos
Created 3 October 2016