Sailing around the Caribbean

In 2007 our family sailed from the Chesapeake Bay to the Caribbean, visiting most of the islands and stopping in Cartagena, Colombia for hurricane season. We just returned to the Chesapeake after visiting many Central American countries and islands.

11 July 2009 | Kikuyu in Annapolis Harbor, Looking toward the City
29 June 2009 | The National Young Women's Sailing Competition in Hampton
15 June 2009 | Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbor
02 June 2009 | Kennedy Space Center
01 June 2009 | Beaudacious and Third Boat that Joined us at Anchor in Fort Pierce
31 May 2009 | Our Friends Beaudacions' Mast was Taller than Most Bridges when Opened
25 May 2009 | View of a Canal from Las Olas Marina Boulevard
21 May 2009 | Approaching Miami Harbor
18 May 2009 | One of the Six-toed Cats Sleeping on Hemingway's Master Bed
16 May 2009 | Approaching Key West - Daniel at the bow trying to see land with the binoculars
08 May 2009 | Main Town Harbor
06 May 2009 | Maya Ritual Reenactment
29 April 2009 | Town's Harbor
27 April 2009 | Daniel at the Blue Hole
25 April 2009 | The Weather Turned Bad
22 April 2009 | View of City from Kikuyu
21 April 2009 | Dangriga Harbor -Daniel doing school work!
19 April 2009 | Whale Shark, Picture by Chelsea Tolppanen
15 April 2009 | kikuyu in the Middle at Anchor in East Harbor

We Are Here and Ready to Leave Tomorrow!

03 November 2007 | Hampton, Viriginia
Maria
It has been quite a number of days of rushing around, going to stores, buying the last things we needed, closing and opening accounts... the list of things to do was many pages long and it kept growing instead of decreasing. But at last we set sail last Sunday from our home port after 3 ugly days of rain and cold, having to stow things in the rain. Daniel's good friend Will and his step Dad Steve came to send us off with a small glass of Champaign!

After fueling and leaving the harbor we faced 20+ winds and, unfortunately, lost control of the main causing a block on the outhaul (the line that pulls the sail out) to brake. Fortunately, we were able to "rig" it and finally set sail at around noon. We expected to anchor in a river and arrive at Hampton on Monday afternoon. However, the winds kept increasing rather than calming down as it has been predicted - more than ever we now know fully well that weather forecasts are to be believed but not to be fully trusted. The wind was coming from the south so we sailed "wing-on-wing" for a few hours. But the wind kept building up and the waves increased to 4-6 feet so we took down the jib and started thinking about reefing the main. We kept waiting for the winds to calm but they never did. We decided to keep sailing arriving to Hampton in roaring 32+ knots of winds! For those of you who have not sailed before this is a a fair amount of wind but our boat is designed to take this kind of conditions (and worse) and assuming the sailors (us) do the right things we should be fine.

This week has been a mad rush of events here in Hampton and it is easy to loose sight of 70 sail boats around us in the marina getting ready to leave on Sunday. It is a beautiful sight and we feel privileged to be part of this event. We have been preparing the boat (additional stuff), going through boat inspections, repairing the main, installing an iridium phone (which is a phone that goes through satellite to be used for emergency calls as it is very expensive to use). We have also been attending meetings and getting to know other ralliers. It has been quite an experience. Today,Saturday the third at 5:30PM, the excitement is fairly high. We expect light winds after the storm that hit us for the last 3 days finally passed today.

For a gallery of pictures of our trip and the boats here at the Blue Water Yatch Center where we all the boats are docked you can go to:
http://picasaweb.google.com/sailingourway/2007_11_03?authkey=kSFwhpFrg8c

For those of you who are interested, our boat has been fitted with a chip that will track our course throughout the passage. If you go to http://www.carib1500.com/c1500/index.htm you can see where the fleet is. The website is supposed to show the location of each boat -- track us there.

We hope to be able to make entries to the blog underway but we are having some technical problems. If you don't here from us in the next 10 days you know why.

To each of you thank you for your support and your interest in our trip. We know you will be sending good wishes our way.

Hasta Pronto!
Comments
Vessel Name: Kikuyu
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy 37
Hailing Port: Norfolk, VA
Crew: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
About: Maria E. Ramos and Daniel Cunningham
Extra:
We are delighted to have you as a visitor to our site. Our family (Dad-Kim, Mom-Maria, 12-year-old son: Daniel) started our cruising adventure in our minds a few years ago. We slowly began to take steps toward achieving this dream. In November of 2007 we departed Annapolis, MD in the Chesapeake [...]
Home Page: www.sailingourway.com

Sailing Our Way

Who: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
Port: Norfolk, VA
Our Pictures
Kikuyu and its crew