Sailing around the Caribbean

In 2007 our family sailed from the Chesapeake Bay to the Caribbean, visiting most of the islands and stopping in Cartagena, Colombia for hurricane season. We just returned to the Chesapeake after visiting many Central American countries and islands.

11 July 2009 | Kikuyu in Annapolis Harbor, Looking toward the City
29 June 2009 | The National Young Women's Sailing Competition in Hampton
15 June 2009 | Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbor
02 June 2009 | Kennedy Space Center
01 June 2009 | Beaudacious and Third Boat that Joined us at Anchor in Fort Pierce
31 May 2009 | Our Friends Beaudacions' Mast was Taller than Most Bridges when Opened
25 May 2009 | View of a Canal from Las Olas Marina Boulevard
21 May 2009 | Approaching Miami Harbor
18 May 2009 | One of the Six-toed Cats Sleeping on Hemingway's Master Bed
16 May 2009 | Approaching Key West - Daniel at the bow trying to see land with the binoculars
08 May 2009 | Main Town Harbor
06 May 2009 | Maya Ritual Reenactment
29 April 2009 | Town's Harbor
27 April 2009 | Daniel at the Blue Hole
25 April 2009 | The Weather Turned Bad
22 April 2009 | View of City from Kikuyu
21 April 2009 | Dangriga Harbor -Daniel doing school work!
19 April 2009 | Whale Shark, Picture by Chelsea Tolppanen
15 April 2009 | kikuyu in the Middle at Anchor in East Harbor

Tuesday, November 13: Getting Real Close with Other Boats Near Us

13 November 2007 | Atlantic Ocean
It is 7PM and we are about 75 miles from Tortola. We are going slowly now to time our entry during the daytime as it would be more interesting and safer. We were all very excited today with the thought of our approaching arrival.

Last night our boat reached speeds of 9 knots and sailed in speeds over 7 most of the time. From 9AM yesterday morning to 9AM this morning we sailed 170 miles, averaging a little over 7 knots/hr. This has been our record mileage so far.

In the morning the weather was somewhat rough as the Trof had moved southeast of us and we were riding right behind it. We had a few squalls (minor) during the afternoon and passed the Trof (we think) at around 5PM. After, things have quieted down and now we are sailing at 5 knots with winds coming out of the East. This is just perfect since we want to arrive to our first way point by dawn. After this way point it will be about 2-3 hours to get into the Village Cay Marina at Road Harbor.

We spent a lot of time at the cockpit today talking about the things we will do when we arrive. The parties started today -pool party. But we should be able to make the best parties - tomorrow Rum party, Thursday the awards ceremony and Saturday at Virgin Gorda Yacht Club. Do you get the idea that this group is a party group? Well, from what we know, ralliers do like a party specially after being at sea for so many days and in the adverse conditions we faced. There is a lot for which to celebrate.

For many like us, this is the first long distance passage. Being able to make it safe and with our boat in good shape is an accomplishment in itself. We almost did lose our whisker pole. It came out of its cradle and Nancy, with her eagle eyes, saw it flying in the air while we were all sitting at the cockpit. Fortunately, the winds were light at that point and we were able to grab it and secure it. This is one of the many things that Nancy has been able to catch before they became problems, including screws coming out of the mainsheet block, the boom vang, etc. Had these things come loose we would have endured some damage to sails, blocks, etc. So between Nancy's knowledge of sailboats and expertise in seeing problems and Dennis' expertise in sailing, particularly during the heavy squalls, we have managed to get this far with no damage unlike other boats that faced similar conditions as Kikuyu.

It is pretty warm right now. The sea water temperature is around 83 degrees and the air is humid and warm. But with our fans we can comfortably sleep. We are now pretty happy to be approaching land after 9 � days at sea.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kikuyu
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy 37
Hailing Port: Norfolk, VA
Crew: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
About: Maria E. Ramos and Daniel Cunningham
Extra:
We are delighted to have you as a visitor to our site. Our family (Dad-Kim, Mom-Maria, 12-year-old son: Daniel) started our cruising adventure in our minds a few years ago. We slowly began to take steps toward achieving this dream. In November of 2007 we departed Annapolis, MD in the Chesapeake [...]
Home Page: www.sailingourway.com

Sailing Our Way

Who: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
Port: Norfolk, VA
Our Pictures
Kikuyu and its crew