Sailing around the Caribbean

In 2007 our family sailed from the Chesapeake Bay to the Caribbean, visiting most of the islands and stopping in Cartagena, Colombia for hurricane season. We just returned to the Chesapeake after visiting many Central American countries and islands.

11 July 2009 | Kikuyu in Annapolis Harbor, Looking toward the City
29 June 2009 | The National Young Women's Sailing Competition in Hampton
15 June 2009 | Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbor
02 June 2009 | Kennedy Space Center
01 June 2009 | Beaudacious and Third Boat that Joined us at Anchor in Fort Pierce
31 May 2009 | Our Friends Beaudacions' Mast was Taller than Most Bridges when Opened
25 May 2009 | View of a Canal from Las Olas Marina Boulevard
21 May 2009 | Approaching Miami Harbor
18 May 2009 | One of the Six-toed Cats Sleeping on Hemingway's Master Bed
16 May 2009 | Approaching Key West - Daniel at the bow trying to see land with the binoculars
08 May 2009 | Main Town Harbor
06 May 2009 | Maya Ritual Reenactment
29 April 2009 | Town's Harbor
27 April 2009 | Daniel at the Blue Hole
25 April 2009 | The Weather Turned Bad
22 April 2009 | View of City from Kikuyu
21 April 2009 | Dangriga Harbor -Daniel doing school work!
19 April 2009 | Whale Shark, Picture by Chelsea Tolppanen
15 April 2009 | kikuyu in the Middle at Anchor in East Harbor

Virgin Gorda� Gorda Peak National Park and Spanish Town

07 December 2007 | At Gorda Peak National Park
Maria
Every 7 days or so we need to go to port to do laundry and put water into our boat as well as to search for an Internet connection. The internet is how Daniel updates his school work, takes assessments and does the subjects that are hard to do with his books. It is a challenge to find good connections when we are at anchor. Therefore, we sailed back to Spanish town with building winds of an approaching tropical storm which was headed for Puerto Rico and was creating a lot of wind and waves. The storm was to build in the next days.

From Spanish Town which is in the middle of the island, Daniel and Kim hiked up close to North Sound via Gorda Peak National Park and captured great views of Virgin Gorda, which is by now one of our most favorite islands. In the mean time Maria decided to walk around Spanish town and stumbled into a beautiful little house near the airport which is located on the other side of Spanish town. This was a craft store built by the woman who made just about everything sold in the store, Geraldine Maduro. Geraldine was born and raised in Virgin Gorda. Her ancestors were more West Indies (as opposed to black) and she looked more like someone from the country of India. She had lived on this hill for 30 years with her husband, built her own little house and made a living doing various things. Her dream, however, was to have her own craft store as she is an artist at heart. When she went to the bank to get a loan to build her store 2 years ago, the bank officer told her "we cannot give you a loan - you should have enough money of your own to build your store!" This, of course, was absurd as she went to the bank because she did not have money of her own! So she took matters into her own hands and got the help of her local friends who have known her for her generosity and built the shop herself in two months!! This was very courageous on her part as she had no architecture or professional help guiding her. She used the foundation of a cistern as the foundation for her store but left the cistern operational to gather water. She designed the interior and painted her shop in beautiful colors - pictures will be found in the album of pictures to be posted.

This is the first opportunity we've had to interact at length with a local person who is not working near the marinas or near tourists. It gave us a glimpse of a people who have endured a lot and are not afraid to build their own roofs and make their living from the land and things around them. Gerry's Crafts futures many ornaments made of gores and shells she finds on the beach.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kikuyu
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy 37
Hailing Port: Norfolk, VA
Crew: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
About: Maria E. Ramos and Daniel Cunningham
Extra:
We are delighted to have you as a visitor to our site. Our family (Dad-Kim, Mom-Maria, 12-year-old son: Daniel) started our cruising adventure in our minds a few years ago. We slowly began to take steps toward achieving this dream. In November of 2007 we departed Annapolis, MD in the Chesapeake [...]
Home Page: www.sailingourway.com

Sailing Our Way

Who: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
Port: Norfolk, VA
Our Pictures
Kikuyu and its crew