Sailing around the Caribbean

In 2007 our family sailed from the Chesapeake Bay to the Caribbean, visiting most of the islands and stopping in Cartagena, Colombia for hurricane season. We just returned to the Chesapeake after visiting many Central American countries and islands.

11 July 2009 | Kikuyu in Annapolis Harbor, Looking toward the City
29 June 2009 | The National Young Women's Sailing Competition in Hampton
15 June 2009 | Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbor
02 June 2009 | Kennedy Space Center
01 June 2009 | Beaudacious and Third Boat that Joined us at Anchor in Fort Pierce
31 May 2009 | Our Friends Beaudacions' Mast was Taller than Most Bridges when Opened
25 May 2009 | View of a Canal from Las Olas Marina Boulevard
21 May 2009 | Approaching Miami Harbor
18 May 2009 | One of the Six-toed Cats Sleeping on Hemingway's Master Bed
16 May 2009 | Approaching Key West - Daniel at the bow trying to see land with the binoculars
08 May 2009 | Main Town Harbor
06 May 2009 | Maya Ritual Reenactment
29 April 2009 | Town's Harbor
27 April 2009 | Daniel at the Blue Hole
25 April 2009 | The Weather Turned Bad
22 April 2009 | View of City from Kikuyu
21 April 2009 | Dangriga Harbor -Daniel doing school work!
19 April 2009 | Whale Shark, Picture by Chelsea Tolppanen
15 April 2009 | kikuyu in the Middle at Anchor in East Harbor

Trinidad: Back to the Grande Riviere to See the Endangered Giant Leatherback Turtles

29 April 2008 | Grande Riviere - Helping a Turtle Back to the Sea
After leaving the ASA Wright Bird Sanctuary we continued our road trip to Grande Riviere to see the giant Leatherback turtles. We expected to have a similar experience to what Maria had had two weeks earlier but, to our surprise, what we saw and did was different. Unlike two weeks earlier where we saw many turtles at around 11PM, this time there were fewer turtles around midnight even though at the end of April and in May Grande Riviere can get 400 or more turtles on a night. It was a darker night as well so we expected more to come. We later learned that they like to come to the beach at high tide and that night high tide was in the later in the morning.

We watched a few turtles lay their eggs but had a great guide, a Canadian expat who owned an organic farm and volunteered at the Grande Riviere. He was knowledgeable and very involved in turtle conservation. We learned that one of the largest turtle killers were fishermen's nets and the government had not implemented successful programs to encourage other fishing methods during the turtle nesting period. The US government and some companies had donated a lot of money toward this effort but without success. Research has been done to understand how turtles hear with the intent of inventing a device that could be placed on nets to signal danger to the turtles. Unfortunately this effort did not prove successful either. In the meantime the turtle population keeps decreasing and current estimates of the number of leatherbacks are at around 20,000, down from 150,000 estimated 10 years ago.

We decided to stay at the hotel (Mt. Plaisir Hotel) right on the beach at Grande Riviere hoping to get up the next morning by 6AM, when the beach is open to the public, to view the turtles during the day as Maria had seen two weeks earlier. Daniel got up first and ran back to report that there were no turtles this time!! Seeing them at night is a wonderful experience but during daylight one can see so much detail and take good pictures of them. We decided to stroll down the beach and as we approached the northern part where there is a small sweet water pond to the right, Daniel noticed something large swimming in the pond. To our surprise it was a large leatherback that had gotten stranded there. We ran to the park office which we were unsure would be open but found several people planting trees (government employees we were told) and the office was open. They immediately sent 3 guys to help guide the turtle back to the sea and save her from exhaustion and possible death from the heat of the day. For the next hour we watched the turtle come out of the pond as the workers would move her in the direction they wanted her to go, "tractor" her way up a mount of sand and rock, and then come down toward the sea, flapping as she touched water. We all applauded and cheered when she swam and dove into the water.

After, we went to have breakfast and came out to swim in Grande Riviere beach. There were very few people on this beach either walking or swimming this time and last time Maria was here. The beach is full of ups and downs with turtle tracks everywhere that look like a bunch of tractor trailer tracks. It is rather difficult to walk the beach and the sand is coarse in many areas. As one enters the water there are small rocks which press on one's feet as the waves push up against the shore. As we were swimming we noticed a large body coming toward us. To our amazement it was a leatherback turtle coming right on to the beach to nest. It was 10 AM and the sun was hot and at full blast! We got out quickly and headed for the park office again as we saw the turtle dry up and look really hot. Turtles are cold-blooded animals so we figured that this intense heat would not be good for her. We got buckets and started pouring water on her as she took her time finding a site, creating her 3-foot hole and proceeding to lay her eggs. We were told that, though rare, turtles sometimes come out during the day because they needed to lay their eggs. By 12:30 PM the turtle was just finishing and we had to leave Grande Riviere to make it back on time to our marina. Fortunately park workers agreed to continue watering her down until she went back to sea.

If you would like to see more pictures of the turtles and the birds, we have them to the Trinidad album of pictures.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kikuyu
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy 37
Hailing Port: Norfolk, VA
Crew: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
About: Maria E. Ramos and Daniel Cunningham
Extra:
We are delighted to have you as a visitor to our site. Our family (Dad-Kim, Mom-Maria, 12-year-old son: Daniel) started our cruising adventure in our minds a few years ago. We slowly began to take steps toward achieving this dream. In November of 2007 we departed Annapolis, MD in the Chesapeake [...]
Home Page: www.sailingourway.com

Sailing Our Way

Who: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
Port: Norfolk, VA
Our Pictures
Kikuyu and its crew