Sailing around the Caribbean

In 2007 our family sailed from the Chesapeake Bay to the Caribbean, visiting most of the islands and stopping in Cartagena, Colombia for hurricane season. We just returned to the Chesapeake after visiting many Central American countries and islands.

11 July 2009 | Kikuyu in Annapolis Harbor, Looking toward the City
29 June 2009 | The National Young Women's Sailing Competition in Hampton
15 June 2009 | Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbor
02 June 2009 | Kennedy Space Center
01 June 2009 | Beaudacious and Third Boat that Joined us at Anchor in Fort Pierce
31 May 2009 | Our Friends Beaudacions' Mast was Taller than Most Bridges when Opened
25 May 2009 | View of a Canal from Las Olas Marina Boulevard
21 May 2009 | Approaching Miami Harbor
18 May 2009 | One of the Six-toed Cats Sleeping on Hemingway's Master Bed
16 May 2009 | Approaching Key West - Daniel at the bow trying to see land with the binoculars
08 May 2009 | Main Town Harbor
06 May 2009 | Maya Ritual Reenactment
29 April 2009 | Town's Harbor
27 April 2009 | Daniel at the Blue Hole
25 April 2009 | The Weather Turned Bad
22 April 2009 | View of City from Kikuyu
21 April 2009 | Dangriga Harbor -Daniel doing school work!
19 April 2009 | Whale Shark, Picture by Chelsea Tolppanen
15 April 2009 | kikuyu in the Middle at Anchor in East Harbor

Visiting Santa Marta

10 July 2008 | Bay of Santa Marta
In mid June, Kim and Daniel returned to the States and Maria stayed behind to take care of matters related to the boat and to our upcoming stay in Colombia. Our plans on how long to state in Colombia and when to return to the US are still being formulated though our most recent plans call for sailing Kikuyu back to the US via Central America sometime after the hurricane season ends at the end October of this year.

As with most Americans, our friends from Contrails do not speak Spanish and Maria played the role of translator to make their stay more pleasant. They expressed a desire to take a tour outside of Cartagena and we decided to go north to Santa Marta, located about 3 � hours by car. We made reservations with a minibus company named Marisol which avoided having to take a taxi to the bus station located outside Cartagena. Marisol picked us up and dropped us off in El Rodadero, Santa Marta's most popular beaches. Upon return, they also picked us up at our hotel and dropped us off in a central location near Club Nautico.

Santa Marta was founded a little bit before Cartagena and was temporarily settled as the Spaniards' main seaport. However, the Spanish quickly gave it up because its large bay could not easily be defended against intruders. The Spaniards never attempted to wall the city but they did build homes and churches. The Santa Marta Cathedral, the oldest church, was destroyed by pirates and rebuilt a few times. The city still boasts many old buildings which unfortunately have fallen in disrepair. Unlike the beginnings of the city when city residents where wealthy Spaniards and Criollos, today most city residents are of poor means and lack the education to understand the importance of the residences they inhabit. Nonetheless, rather than staying at the fancy popular El Rodadero Beach, we opted to stay at a very reasonably priced hotel (Hotel Nueva Granada, Calle de la Cruz) in the old city and about 3 blocks from the bay of Santa Marta.

We spent 2 days in the city of Santa Marta walking its streets and bay front. The city is just beginning a rebuilding process, starting with their main plaza, Parque Bolivar. Because of this, the Gold & Tyrona Museum was closed. However, we learned about the new Ethnographic museum (Museo Etnografico), a fairly small but well-built museum where one can also learn about the Tyrona Indians who inhabited (some still do) this area of Colombia.

Click on the "Photo Gallery" icon on the blog to find pictures in the album "Santa Marta"
Comments
Vessel Name: Kikuyu
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy 37
Hailing Port: Norfolk, VA
Crew: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
About: Maria E. Ramos and Daniel Cunningham
Extra:
We are delighted to have you as a visitor to our site. Our family (Dad-Kim, Mom-Maria, 12-year-old son: Daniel) started our cruising adventure in our minds a few years ago. We slowly began to take steps toward achieving this dream. In November of 2007 we departed Annapolis, MD in the Chesapeake [...]
Home Page: www.sailingourway.com

Sailing Our Way

Who: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
Port: Norfolk, VA
Our Pictures
Kikuyu and its crew