Sailing around the Caribbean

In 2007 our family sailed from the Chesapeake Bay to the Caribbean, visiting most of the islands and stopping in Cartagena, Colombia for hurricane season. We just returned to the Chesapeake after visiting many Central American countries and islands.

11 July 2009 | Kikuyu in Annapolis Harbor, Looking toward the City
29 June 2009 | The National Young Women's Sailing Competition in Hampton
15 June 2009 | Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbor
02 June 2009 | Kennedy Space Center
01 June 2009 | Beaudacious and Third Boat that Joined us at Anchor in Fort Pierce
31 May 2009 | Our Friends Beaudacions' Mast was Taller than Most Bridges when Opened
25 May 2009 | View of a Canal from Las Olas Marina Boulevard
21 May 2009 | Approaching Miami Harbor
18 May 2009 | One of the Six-toed Cats Sleeping on Hemingway's Master Bed
16 May 2009 | Approaching Key West - Daniel at the bow trying to see land with the binoculars
08 May 2009 | Main Town Harbor
06 May 2009 | Maya Ritual Reenactment
29 April 2009 | Town's Harbor
27 April 2009 | Daniel at the Blue Hole
25 April 2009 | The Weather Turned Bad
22 April 2009 | View of City from Kikuyu
21 April 2009 | Dangriga Harbor -Daniel doing school work!
19 April 2009 | Whale Shark, Picture by Chelsea Tolppanen
15 April 2009 | kikuyu in the Middle at Anchor in East Harbor

Colon, Panama

15 January 2009 | The Flats Anchorage
Leaving Linton was a bit challenging. The wind was strong, wrapping around the end of the island and it howled as we sailed passed the reefs that snuggled the entrance. The wind was coming from our starboard (right) side so we decided to raise our jib sheet in case something happened to our engine as we sailed between two very close reefs - should our engine die we would most likely be crushed against the reefs. The sails gave us added power and assurance that we will make it pass the entrance.

The trip was a bit rough at first but then it calmed down a bit. Having had a couple of great dinners and ceviche snacks with the Cero fish we decided to rig our trolling line and, to our surprise, within 1 hour we caught a big-eye tuna. It was a beautiful fish which seemed to stare right at us with those big, deep and clear eyes. Our consolation was that it was food and we were not just fishing for the sake of it. It was about 8 lbs but turned out to be about 4 pounds after cleaning it. We made 2 delicious meals including sesame seed, soy sauce, garlic & onions crusted fillets.

Arriving to Colon was amazing�"a large number ships were waiting to go through the Canal or had already come through the Canal from the Pacific side. There was a large breakwater and we were to go through the southern-most entrance which was for smaller vessels. The enormity of the place was humbling as well as knowing that we where now in one of the most brilliant engineering constructions made by man. American ingenuity, orderly and quality showed in every aspect of the Canal.

We anchored in The Flats, an area south of the entrance, described by its name because it has nearly the same depth all around - about 37 feet! This was, again, a bit too deep for us to feel safe that we had good holding given the length of our anchor rode. Ideally, under calm conditions vessels should have a ratio of no less than 4 but more like 7 feet of rode for every feet of water depth. Counting our freeboard (the height of Kikuyu from the water line to where the anchor chain holds the boat) we just had a ratio of 4 and this was not safe given all the wave action in the anchorage caused by swells but mostly by the large ships transiting the area. We had no choice but sleep with this rode ratio for 3 nights until we could get a spot at the Panama Canal Yacht Club which was just around the area.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kikuyu
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy 37
Hailing Port: Norfolk, VA
Crew: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
About: Maria E. Ramos and Daniel Cunningham
Extra:
We are delighted to have you as a visitor to our site. Our family (Dad-Kim, Mom-Maria, 12-year-old son: Daniel) started our cruising adventure in our minds a few years ago. We slowly began to take steps toward achieving this dream. In November of 2007 we departed Annapolis, MD in the Chesapeake [...]
Home Page: www.sailingourway.com

Sailing Our Way

Who: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
Port: Norfolk, VA
Our Pictures
Kikuyu and its crew