11 February 2018 | Santa Cruz, Galapagos Islands
27 November 2017 | Medellin, Colombia
23 November 2017 | Machu Picchu, Peru
13 November 2017 | Santa Marta, Colombia
25 October 2017 | Curacao
13 November 2015 | Terrel Bay, Carriacou
13 August 2015 | Grenada
16 July 2015 | Port Luis, Grenada
18 May 2015 | Chatham Bay, Union Island
01 May 2015 | St. Lucia
14 April 2015 | Dominica
19 February 2015 | 17 57.38'N:062 54.28'W, BVI & St. Martin
01 February 2015 | 19 29.92'N:064 23.28'W, BVI
07 January 2015 | PR and Culebra
16 December 2014 | Salinas, PR
12 December 2014 | Ocean World Marina, DR
05 December 2014 | Turks & Caicos
24 November 2014 | 23 51.077'N:075 07.209'W, Georgetown to Conception
14 November 2014 | 24 26.687'N:076 47.37'W, On our way to Black Point, Great Guana Cay

Back in the good ole USA

24 May 2014 | Ft. Pierce, Fl
We left Marsh Harbour on Monday 5/19 and headed out to Green Turtle Cay. In order to get to GTC, you have to go out of the Abacos islands into the Whale Passage for a short distance before coming back into the Abacos islands because it is too shallow to traverse across. The Whale Passage can be nasty if there are strong north winds. We waited till we had fairly benign conditions before taking on the Whale Passage. Even so, it was no picnic. Check out the pictures of a cargo ship that didn't make it thru (shipwrecked). Green Turtle Cay is a pretty island but not much going on. We thought we had the dinghy motor problem fixed but we didn't. While going ashore, the engine died. We had to throw out the dinghy anchor we carry and after about 5-10 minutes, Ed managed to get it started again and off we went to shore. We enjoyed Pineapples bar and grill. Very cool place with a great bartender and good burgers. On our way back to the boat, the motor died again. This time it wouldn't start. Fortunately for us, another sailboater was going ashore in there dinghy and saw us having trouble and towed us back to our boat. Good thing they were there because it would have taken us over an hour to row that far. Ed had added a fuel filter to the fuel line and it was either clogged or had water in it. Anyway, Ed disconnected the fuel filter and the problem seems to be solved again.

After Green Turtle Cay, we headed over to Spanish Cay. We anchored out and went in for dinner at the marina. This island has an airport so a lot of fishing boats get left here and people fly in and out of this island. When we woke up on Thursday, there was no wind to be found and you could see the chain and anchor thru the clear water from the boat. This was our last visit to civilization until we get back to Florida. We left here on Thursday and anchored at Great Sale Cay (uninhabited) which is about halfway across the Bahama banks. Our intention was to stop near the edge of the banks and sleep for a couple of hours before heading home so that we could arrive at Ft. Pierce at slack tide. We did just that...except for the sleeping part. The weather forecast was for winds between 5-10 knots for the evening. They were around 15 knots which kicked up the seas to just make it too uncomfortable to sleep. Anyway, we got out of bed and weighed anchor at 2am Saturday morning anticipating a 12 hour motor to our destination. Again, the forecast was for light and variable winds out of the southeast to southwest (aka very little wind). We had 17 knots so close to our nose that even though we had our sail up we were motoring too close to the wind to sail. We arrived at Ft. Pierce inlet around 3 pm with engine concerns. The oil pressure was at half the psi it normally reads and with a lot of smoke coming off the exhaust. Great, the inlet to Ft. Pierce is a freaking zoo with numerous boats, kayaks, and people everywhere. We were embarrassed to be coming in with our ailing boat. We were also worried about the engine dying. What would we do. There was no wind to sail. With Ed manning the helm, I prepared the windlass in case we had to drop our anchor quickly. Well we made it into Harbortown marina without the engine dying. Exhausted and dirty, we quickly rinsed off the boat, then ourselves and had an early dinner, then crashed for the night.
So it is Memorial weekend and we are spending our weekend cleaning the salt water off the boat and fixing the engine. Ed changed the oil, oil filter and fuel filter and she is purring like a kitty once again. Not sure why she gave us such fits as the engine was just due to have the oil changed.

It is good to be back in the states where we take for granted things like the internet, cell phone service, groceries, restaurants. We did enjoy our time in the Bahamas as well where we enjoyed beautiful water, snorkeling, sunsets, overpriced burgers and cocktails.
Enjoy the short video of one of our sail in the Abacos
Comments
Vessel Name: Slowdown
Vessel Make/Model: Caliber LRC40
Hailing Port: Houston, TX
Crew: Ed and Cheryl Carter
About: Ed has a USCG 100 ton masters license while Cheryl has ASA certifications thru 104
Social:
Slowdown's Photos - Main
Our dive pictures are at the end of album.
63 Photos
Created 18 February 2018
Coffee, Coffee, Coffee
15 Photos
Created 3 December 2017
November 2017 trip to Machu Picchu
20 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 3 December 2017
Santa Marta, Cartagena
22 Photos
Created 13 November 2017
22 Photos
Created 25 October 2017
November 2015 - October 2016 Grenada to USVI and back to Grenada
1 Sub-Album
Created 9 December 2015
November 2014 - October 2015 Florida East Coast to Grenada
11 Sub-Albums
Created 9 December 2015
December 2013 - October 2014 Kemah, TX to Bahamas, then Florida
23 Sub-Albums
Created 17 August 2015

Who: Ed and Cheryl Carter
Port: Houston, TX