Sailing South

S/V Mariah with Trish & John Billings

15 January 2017 | Tropical Mexico
27 November 2016 | Mazatlan
25 May 2014 | Mission Bay, San Diego
04 May 2014 | Isla Mujeres, Mexico
05 April 2014 | St. Maarten
17 February 2014 | Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, DR
31 December 2013 | Thompsons Bay, Bahamas
20 December 2013 | Long Island, Bahamas
01 December 2013 | Exumas, Bahamas
01 December 2013 | Exumas, Bahamas
11 November 2013 | Marsh Harbor, Abaco
31 October 2013 | Grand Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
21 October 2013 | Folly Beach, SC
15 August 2013 | Folly Beach, SC
17 July 2013 | Charleston, SC
14 June 2013 | Hilton Head, SC
14 May 2013 | Key West
18 April 2013 | Key West
25 March 2013 | Venice, FL
06 March 2013 | Orange Beach, AL

On Our Way - Day 1

24 November 2012 | Rockport to Port O'Connor
Trish
November 24, 2012 On our way, Day 1

We are finally on our way. We left Rockport this morning in the middle of a gale (25 knots, gusting to 40), but the prediction was for calm seas in the afternoon and that did work out. Because the water is so shallow everywhere here, we have to stay in the “channel” where we passed by quite a few barges, many of them “double-wides.” The channel is only about 150 feet wide and the barges are about 100 feet wide…and then they have to pass each other. There was a lot of chatter on the radio as they each graciously pulled over in just a few feet of water to wait for the other to pass.

We had a beautiful “green flash” sunset just as we anchored out in Matagorda Bay where we are sitting now. Kinda gives me the creeps just sitting here in the middle of the bay, but John assures me that we are out of shipping channels and have our anchor light on, so we should be good. And it’s only a little rocky…wind is only about 5 or 6 now.

Tomorrow morning we will head for the town of Matagorda where we will probably spend the week. As we approach Matagorda, we have to pass through a set of locks. That should be interesting.
As we look at the map, we are coming to realize that we have to learn to enjoy the process because it is going to take quite a long time to get to Key West since we can only travel on weekends…and only those with good weather. The coastline from Rockport all the way around to the base of Florida encompasses a lot of 40 mile segments (approx. distance we can go in one day). And if the weekend comes along for travel and the weather is bad, we sit for another whole week. Like I said, it’s the process, right? Right!
We hope you all had a great Thanksgiving together and sorry to have missed it. Love you and miss you all.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mariah
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 41
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: John & Trish Billings
About: John & Trish hail from Mission Beach in San Diego, are avid body surfers and dinghy sailors. We have been living aboard Mariah for 10 years now and have been through most of the Caribbean, the East Coast of the US and the Pacific Coast of Central America
Extra: We are now in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We have arrived SOUTH!
Social: