The Sailing Spearo

Around the world, one fish at a time

05 January 2015 | Cudjoe Key, Florida Keys
30 December 2014
14 September 2014 | Suwarrow Atoll, Cook Islands
29 August 2014 | Bora Bora
28 August 2014 | Huahine, Raiatea, Tahaa
04 August 2014 | Tahiti, Moorea
20 July 2014 | Papara, Tahiti
17 July 2014 | Society Islands, French Polynesia
17 July 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
21 June 2014 | Tahiti, French Polynesia
17 June 2014 | Tuamotus, French Polynesia
06 June 2014 | French Polynesia
27 April 2014 | Gambier Islands, French Polynsia
21 April 2014 | South Pacific Ocean
05 April 2014 | South Pacific Ocean
18 March 2014 | Rapa Nui (Easter Island)
11 March 2014 | South Pacific Ocean
05 March 2014 | Santa Cruz, Galapagos/ Pacific Ocean
12 February 2014 | Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz, Galapagos
06 February 2014 | The Doldrums

Papara Surf Report

20 July 2014 | Papara, Tahiti
The night before Josh and I were going to head down to Papara, we hit happy hour at the marina bar. As we started chatting with some other young cruisers, we discussed our plan to drive down to Papara in the morning for a surf. We quickly filled up the car with three more surfers who wanted to come! Josh and I were joined by Matt and Annie from Cavalo and Nick, Josh's buddy on a different boat.

After one too many beers, I crashed for the night to get some rest before our long day of surfing.

We got a later start than we'd planned, but it was no big deal, as the swell was supposed to pick up throughout the day. We loaded the boards, some inside the rented SUV, others strapped on the roof. With no racks on the vehicle, we got creative and used some towels, a longboard, and a melange of straps and rope. It got the job done. Next, grabbeb a few beers at the magasin, snagged some baguettes, we were good to roll.

As we arrived at Papara, we were very underwhelmed by the size of the surf. The forecast had not delivered - the swell was going to arrive a day later it appeared. No worries though, I was just stoked to get some laid back surf in compared to the intensity of the surrounding reefs.

I paddled out by myself, as the others wanted to wait to see how the swell developed. I caught a bunch of decent waves and felt really good all day. It was such a different experience going right on a mellow wave versus trying to hold on for dear life dropping in to the hollow lefts at Taapuna. The waves were definitely small, lacking power, but they were fun, and I got a good workout surfing for about 4 hours total.

Josh eventually paddled out on his skim board, of all things, and shredded a couple little rights. Matty was on the longboard, getting some nice rides as well. Nick had to repair a crack in the tail of his board, so he joined a bit later, but eventually we were all out there riding. Annie, playing the role of Team Mom, dutifully sunbathed/watched our stuff ashore.

Honestly, like I said, the swell was really weak. Ideally, next time I go (hopefully Friday with Rob!) it will be macking. Still, it was a really fun session and I'm glad we made the trek down there. The scenery at Papara is incredibly beautiful, with sheer cliffs, valleys, palms and breadfuit everywhere. Warm water, sun shining all day...it was truly a slice of paradise. All in all, a simply beautiful spot, mellow wave, and a great day. Fingers crossed for some better surf next time!
Comments
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Make/Model: 2005 Leopard 40
Hailing Port: Naples, FL USA
Crew: Eric
About: Please join me on our voyage around the world. This blog shall serve as a means to keep friends and family at home updated about our travels, share pictures, and remain sane while at sea. There will be a mix of sailing/traveling writings as well as spearfishing reports. Enjoy!
Extra: "If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water." -Loren Eiseley https://www.youtube.com/user/epoeltl
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/sailingspearo/
Social:

Who: Eric
Port: Naples, FL USA
--Son of a son of a sailor--