08 May 2009 | Ventura, California
29 April 2009 | United States/Mexican Border
25 April 2009 | Cabo Colonet, Mexico
08 April 2009 | Bahia Tenacatita, Mexico
09 March 2009 | Half-way to San Jose, Costa Rica
09 March 2009 | Half-way to San Jose, Costa Rica
04 March 2009 | Playa Dominicalito, Costa Rica
27 February 2009 | Savegre River, Costa Rica
21 February 2009 | Isla del Rey, Las Perlas
13 February 2009 | Isla del Rey, Las Perlas
31 January 2009 | Fort Sherman, Colon, Panama
25 January 2009 | Small island of Kuna Yala
24 January 2009 | Isla Maquina, Kuna Yala
18 January 2009
18 January 2009
02 January 2009 | Curacao/Bonaire
02 January 2009 | Curacao/Bonaire
19 December 2008 | Rainforest of St. Lucia
19 December 2008 | Rainforest of St. Lucia
30 September 2008 | Lanzarote, Canary Islands

Windsurfing for the First Time!

30 September 2008 | Lanzarote, Canary Islands
by Ryan Harris
"O.K.," Rado began as we walked done the beach with our newly rented windsurf board," you need to keep your balance on it or you will tip and fall in the water." Uh-oh, I thought. I figured you just had to keep the sails balanced, and you had it made. We got to the perfect spot to practice getting on, going forward, and turning.

Rado was going to teach Wesley, then me, and last but not least my Mom. (My Mom was last because she needed a bigger sail for her to practice, so we were going to get her a different sail after my brother and I were done). Wesley hopped on and immediately starts to lurch forward. Wesley went a few yards before having to jump off so he didn't hit someone. Rado taught Wesley the basics of windsurfing for about 20 minutes.

Finally, it was my turn. Rado signaled me to come over and try to balance on the board. It was easy to balance the board, since it was long and big. To bring up the sail you pull a rope that is attached to the mast, and you grap hold of it when you get it up. I started up and zoomed on at a high-speed of around 1.5 mph. The thing about windsurfing is that the wind should always be 90 degrees to you back. To turn you push the sail back and the wind pushes you. Then immediately push the sail forward and then when you've turned, you go to the other side of the sail. After going around for 20 minutes and turning for a while I started to get the hang of it.

Now it was Mom's turn. When my turn was almost done Rado went to get the other sail. By the time I was done Rado had brought the other sail. Mom got on the board and also started to lurch forward. It took her awhile to get the ability to turn, but she did fine after a while.

She practiced for 20-30 minutes. Then we each took turns for another hour. After two hours, it was time to return the windsurfer. We gave the windsurfer back to the renter, and when we started to walk, we realized we were famished. We went to a grocery store and bought a six-pack of doughnuts, two loaves of bread, one and a half liters of a local orange drink, a coke, three peaches, and some gummy worms. We found a nice place to sit with an ocean view, and ate everything but a half liter of the orange drink.

We hitchhiked for a few miles until we reached the bus station, and then took the bus all the way back to the boat. I had lots of fun on my first day of windsurfing, and I can't wait until the next time I get to go again.


Comments
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 430
Hailing Port: Ventura, California
Album: Main | Crew of the S/V Gone Native
Side trip to Samaria Gorge
6 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 August 2008