08 May 2009 | Ventura, California
29 April 2009 | United States/Mexican Border
25 April 2009 | Cabo Colonet, Mexico
08 April 2009 | Bahia Tenacatita, Mexico
09 March 2009 | Half-way to San Jose, Costa Rica
09 March 2009 | Half-way to San Jose, Costa Rica
04 March 2009 | Playa Dominicalito, Costa Rica
27 February 2009 | Savegre River, Costa Rica
21 February 2009 | Isla del Rey, Las Perlas
13 February 2009 | Isla del Rey, Las Perlas
31 January 2009 | Fort Sherman, Colon, Panama
25 January 2009 | Small island of Kuna Yala
24 January 2009 | Isla Maquina, Kuna Yala
18 January 2009
18 January 2009
02 January 2009 | Curacao/Bonaire
02 January 2009 | Curacao/Bonaire
19 December 2008 | Rainforest of St. Lucia
19 December 2008 | Rainforest of St. Lucia
30 September 2008 | Lanzarote, Canary Islands

A White Water Rafting Experience

27 February 2009 | Savegre River, Costa Rica
by Wesley Harris
Our guest and crew, Bill, has been appointed tour director and with some ideas from Dad, they decided on a few, and landed on a white water rafting tour. We signed up and the next day, we showed up and hopped into the company van. All five of us sat into the back, and no sooner did we pick up two more tourists we were off to the river, the wonderful river of Oz (actually, the Savegre river). On the way the guides asked us what we wanted for lunch after our tour. The menu was chicken, beef, or, pork. It all sounded so good it was hard to choose from. We then all decided, and placed our orders.

After another thirty-minute drive, we reached the river. While the guides blew up the rafts (three single rafts, and two group rafts) we were given a small safety lecture. We received our gear and went into groups, then off on the river. Two of the guides got the single rafts, while Dad got the other one. The other guides were with the two groups. We went down the river paddling, turning, zipping around rocks, and having water wars with other rafts.

For a halfway stop, we pulled up our rafts, and proceeded to a waterfall, for a snack and a rest. The guides cut up two pineapples and laid out some cookies. All around, there were frogs everywhere, at least a hundred in our area. Everyone had their snack, and then a guide painted our faces with wet stones. What a look!

After the break, we went back to the rafts and one of the guides asked me if Ryan or I wanted to try out a single raft. I answered first and said that I wanted to. Dad gave up his raft and I put it in the water and got the basics down. I went down a white water set, and did exceptionally well. I really impressed the guides, and I really impressed myself to. Then after a few more sets, I handed it over to Ryan. He did really well too, and after a few more sets, Mom gave a try at it. She used it all the way to the end of our tour, and then we pulled over to deflate the rafts and put them in the van. We also put our gear away, and went in to the car to wait for the ride to the boat.

We had a very exciting time white water rafting, now its time to go surfing! Check out Ryan's story....

Comments
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 430
Hailing Port: Ventura, California
Album: Main | Crew of the S/V Gone Native
Side trip to Samaria Gorge
6 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 August 2008