08 May 2009 | Ventura, California
29 April 2009 | United States/Mexican Border
25 April 2009 | Cabo Colonet, Mexico
08 April 2009 | Bahia Tenacatita, Mexico
09 March 2009 | Half-way to San Jose, Costa Rica
09 March 2009 | Half-way to San Jose, Costa Rica
04 March 2009 | Playa Dominicalito, Costa Rica
27 February 2009 | Savegre River, Costa Rica
21 February 2009 | Isla del Rey, Las Perlas
13 February 2009 | Isla del Rey, Las Perlas
31 January 2009 | Fort Sherman, Colon, Panama
25 January 2009 | Small island of Kuna Yala
24 January 2009 | Isla Maquina, Kuna Yala
18 January 2009
18 January 2009
02 January 2009 | Curacao/Bonaire
02 January 2009 | Curacao/Bonaire
19 December 2008 | Rainforest of St. Lucia
19 December 2008 | Rainforest of St. Lucia
30 September 2008 | Lanzarote, Canary Islands

Tenacatita River Tour

08 April 2009 | Bahia Tenacatita, Mexico
By Ryan and Wesley Harris
People on several boats we had met recommended a river tour on the Tenacatita. We plotted it and decided it must be one of our stops. When we arrived (many days later), we launched the dingy and moved toward the river entrance, where many Mexicans were on vacation. It was "Semana Santa" (Easter week). They were lots of tents in a camping ground near the river entrance, and they seemed to be having a great time.

As soon as we pulled our dingy across the sandbar, our tour had begun. There were many fish, lots of birds such as egrets and some other unpronounceable bird names. There were tunnels in the mangroves that were very beautiful in the calm water. We lost track of time, but we guess it took us about 45 minutes to an hour to get to the end. We beached our dinghy, at the end of the river mouth and set off on the trail to the beach.

It was a very busy beach, with shops, fruit stands, restaurants, and people camping out in tents. The water was filled with people playing in the surf. We all took a walk down the beach, and I (Wesley) found a big dried up puffer fish that I put it on a log for everyone to see. We arrived to the end of the beach, clipped off by huge cliffs, and turned around.

When we returned to the main part of the beach, Ryan and I went to play in the water while mom and dad looked for a table at a restaurant. They flagged us down when they found one. We rushed out of the water (it was cold!) and went to the table. We all sat down and took a look at the menu. We ordered a nice mushroom omelet, with a pineapple smoothie. Mom chose a delicious fish fillet with a margarita. Dad picked a fish roll which is some shrimp wrapped in Dorado, deep-fried, and with an almond sauce on it, and a margarita.

We were happy and full, and proceeded to the dingy. We went back through the river, but this time we went a lot faster. We had fast moving pangas behind us, so we had to keep our speed up. It was time for dinner by the time we came back, and ate with one of our recent favorite shows, an episode of "24". Was it our favorite tour? Hard to say, but for sure it was an awesome day.
Comments
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 430
Hailing Port: Ventura, California
Album: Main | Crew of the S/V Gone Native
Side trip to Samaria Gorge
6 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 August 2008