Tropical Sailing Adventures

Vessel Name: Maestro
Vessel Make/Model: 72' Custum Irwin Ketch
Hailing Port: Dover, Delaware
About:
"I am a citizen of the most beautiful nation on earth. A nation whose laws are harsh yet simple, a nation that never cheats, which is immense and wihtout borders, where life is lived in the present. [...]
18 February 2016 | Mexico - Puerto Vallarta
08 February 2014
23 October 2013 | Phuket, Thailand
02 October 2013
22 August 2013 | Raiatea, French Polynesia
22 July 2013 | Island of Huahine - least commercial island in French Poly
26 June 2013 | French Polynesia
01 June 2013
25 May 2013
13 May 2013
11 April 2013 | Marquesas
02 April 2013
30 March 2013
21 March 2013
19 March 2013
15 March 2013 | Galapagos
03 March 2013 | Galapagos
24 February 2013 | Galapagos Islands
07 February 2013 | Ecuador
Recent Blog Posts
18 February 2016 | Mexico - Puerto Vallarta

19 months & counting

Trenten Reef Paul turned 19 months yesterday and I can hardly believe how quickly the time has past since his birth in Papeete, Tahiti. We have been on quite an adventure, as always.

08 February 2014

Thailand/Malaysia

Severely behind in my blog update but we've been busy!

23 October 2013 | Phuket, Thailand

Up on dry land

(Above photo flying into Sydney, AUS on our way to Phuket, Thailand)

02 October 2013

Bora Bora

10/2/13

22 August 2013 | Raiatea, French Polynesia

GOOD FORTUNE IN RAIATEA

8/22/13

22 July 2013 | Island of Huahine - least commercial island in French Poly

Huahine

7/18/13

26 June 2013 | French Polynesia

Moorea

We have, (sadly), just dropped Christina and Nicola off at the airport in Tahiti after a week out anchored off the island of Moorea. What a wonderful week full of fun. The ladies hit the spa!, hiking and swimming with Sting Rays and Sharks. The water in Moorea is really clear blue hues. We had a [...]

01 June 2013

Surfs Up Tahiti

http://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/8812-big-wave-madness-continues-in-teahupoo (10 days ago we had another big southern swell)

25 May 2013

Papeete, Tahiti

We are anchored off marina Taina in Papeete, the main city on the island of Tahiti. This is the only 'big city' (250,000) we have seen in several months. It is a mix of European French & casual islander. The large verdant island soars into the sky and is mostly surrounded by a coral barrier reef. [...]

Huahine

22 July 2013 | Island of Huahine - least commercial island in French Poly
7/18/13
HUAHINE, FRENCH POLYNESIA (more photos here: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/sailmaestro/?show=gallery&aid=24865 )

We have anchored off the island of Huahine and the natives seem to be restless! Upon early morning arrival after an overnight sail from Moorea we anchored close to a lovely white sand beach. This is great! Another perfect French Poly anchorage.... could this be to good to be true? Yep. To our alarm we heard a loud voice coming from the shore. Looking at eachother...Is he talking to us? We took a closer listen and noticed the older Polynesia man, who was now yelling in Tahitian, that he owns the area that we were anchored in. Apparently he also owned the area where another french boat was, as he was getting a lashing too. This was all semi-translated by giggling French sailors passing by in a dinghy. Let me preface this with the fact that Huahine is supposed to be the last remaining polynesian style local island. Most of F.P is quite westernized by all things French including the loss of their Tahitian language. Our idea of local island is tiki huts, fishermen, dirt roads and lots of fruit to barter near by. You wont find that here anymore. Anyway - back to the story. After feeling dumbfounded as to why this guy is so protective of the waters in front of his, very western large house, we figured he must be a lunatic, right? The anchorage is filled with about 15 other boats but we and the other french boat were the closest to the beach. He was yelling at him too? So this cant be an anti-american thing? Then another guy runs out onto the beach yelling in plain english to MOVE YOUR F-ING BOAT OR ILL COME OUT THERE AND SHOOT YOU WITH A GUN AND KICK YOUR ASS. Now... initially this was kind of funny until the thought actually sunk in and he continued to repeat other profanities in plain english. It was way to early in the day for this kind of conduct and we were quite shocked, very tired from the nights passage so we picked up and moved the boat to another anchorage which was nearby across the bay. I am pretty sure they hit us with a pellet gun as we were picking up anchor - welcome to Huahine, we thought! We reported the problem to the Gendarme and of course they told us it hasn't been the first complaint. We have since met people who have had the same encounter so the police didn't do much to help the situation.

French Poly has been a mix of paradise, partial welcoming vibes and dissapointment. In my opinion; simply put, the water, sailing and scenery are some of the best we have seen but the lack of beaches, hospitality, (which the polynesias are apparently known for), are a dissapointment. I wont say anymore on the subject because we are having the time of our lives and wouldn't change our decision to make the crossing. It is well worth the small inconveniences that you will get anywhere you travel. It is just that it is different than the pastime stories you hear from sailors even 15 years ago. The political problems here are difficult for the Tahitian people to overcome. They are educated by the French, paid by the French and policed by the French. It feels like modern day colonializm. If you think that modernizing people into tax paying citizens, at the loss of their own culture, is a great idea then you would disagree with my perspective. I have felt sad for the polynesians since I arrived in Marquesas. The last 150 years out here has almost all but wiped the polynesian culture from the world. So... the moral is that tolerance when getting hit will pellet guns may be required when traveling in F.P. It is a complex cultural transition into western society.
Comments

About & Links