Tropical Sailing Adventures

Vessel Name: Maestro
Vessel Make/Model: 72' Custum Irwin Ketch
Hailing Port: Dover, Delaware
About:
"I am a citizen of the most beautiful nation on earth. A nation whose laws are harsh yet simple, a nation that never cheats, which is immense and wihtout borders, where life is lived in the present. [...]
18 February 2016 | Mexico - Puerto Vallarta
08 February 2014
23 October 2013 | Phuket, Thailand
02 October 2013
22 August 2013 | Raiatea, French Polynesia
22 July 2013 | Island of Huahine - least commercial island in French Poly
26 June 2013 | French Polynesia
01 June 2013
25 May 2013
13 May 2013
11 April 2013 | Marquesas
02 April 2013
30 March 2013
21 March 2013
19 March 2013
15 March 2013 | Galapagos
03 March 2013 | Galapagos
24 February 2013 | Galapagos Islands
07 February 2013 | Ecuador
Recent Blog Posts
18 February 2016 | Mexico - Puerto Vallarta

19 months & counting

Trenten Reef Paul turned 19 months yesterday and I can hardly believe how quickly the time has past since his birth in Papeete, Tahiti. We have been on quite an adventure, as always.

08 February 2014

Thailand/Malaysia

Severely behind in my blog update but we've been busy!

23 October 2013 | Phuket, Thailand

Up on dry land

(Above photo flying into Sydney, AUS on our way to Phuket, Thailand)

02 October 2013

Bora Bora

10/2/13

22 August 2013 | Raiatea, French Polynesia

GOOD FORTUNE IN RAIATEA

8/22/13

22 July 2013 | Island of Huahine - least commercial island in French Poly

Huahine

7/18/13

26 June 2013 | French Polynesia

Moorea

We have, (sadly), just dropped Christina and Nicola off at the airport in Tahiti after a week out anchored off the island of Moorea. What a wonderful week full of fun. The ladies hit the spa!, hiking and swimming with Sting Rays and Sharks. The water in Moorea is really clear blue hues. We had a [...]

01 June 2013

Surfs Up Tahiti

http://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/8812-big-wave-madness-continues-in-teahupoo (10 days ago we had another big southern swell)

25 May 2013

Papeete, Tahiti

We are anchored off marina Taina in Papeete, the main city on the island of Tahiti. This is the only 'big city' (250,000) we have seen in several months. It is a mix of European French & casual islander. The large verdant island soars into the sky and is mostly surrounded by a coral barrier reef. [...]

Thailand/Malaysia

08 February 2014
Severely behind in my blog update but we've been busy!

First things first... WE ARE EXPECTING! Expecting what? (you may ask?) Yep.. we have a little boy on the way with an expected arrival mid July 2014. After several years of trying our dream has come true. We couldnt be more excited!

So now what? (you may ask?) The plan is to have the baby in Tahiti barring any bureaucratic complications. We will be returning to French Polynesia late March and will sort out paperwork upon arrival. After the birth (assuming all is perfect) we plan to continue on to Tonga for the remaining of the cruising season. Thats about all the detail we should give at this point as all plans are loose and very flexible. Wish us luck! Its going to be a wonderful change.

Early in my pregnancy we didnt move around Phuket very much but relaxed at the local beaches, shopping malls, temples and markets. We had a great Christmas season as i had started to feel much more energy.

PHOTOS HERE
We were invited to sail to Malaysia (Island of Langkawi) after Christmas on a friends 90ft motor sailor. Great! Off we went with two stops at pristine Thai Islands and the Island of Langkawi in Maylasia was gorgeous. The officials are very welcoming in Langkawi, a duty free island. All the yachties fly duty free parts into the island and liquor buys weigh the bilges. As soon as you step off the dock you can see the different culture - Langkawi is 75% Muslim. This means lots of Burkas, great food, but really strange restrooms?! I still havent figure out how the hole in the ground works and i try to avoid the situation at all costs. No easily done for a pregnant lady!

ISLAND OF PENANG PHOTOS
After we left the boat in Langkawi we flew to the Island of Penang. Penang in the food capital of Malaysia. We tried a few local dishes which were perfectly spiced. A blend of India meets Chinese = Malaysian. Very fresh. The people we very gracious where ever we went. They really seemed to like foreigners travelling in Malaysia. And i liked that there are Buddists, Christians and Hindu mixed in the culture without much issue. Obviously there are problem areas and we did seem to feel a bit uncomfortable at times. Expecially when we flew into Kuala Lumpur and more traditional long black full Burkas with the women walking 5 ft behind the man appeared. Very different culture.

BANGKOK
To our surprise - we loved Bangkok. There were no tourists! We had to make a trip to the American Embassy and our appointment ended up being in the middle of the protestors anti government campaign. We were a little nervous but after research we felt we would be fine. And we were. We ended up two blocks from one of the shutdown gathering spots and had to cross over the street a couple times to get through the area. Traffic was a bit crazy at times but nothing the skytrain or walking couldnt fix. The humidity was down and the action was up all over Bangkok. We had a great visit.

KOH SAMUI PHOTOS
The island of Koh Samui is a resort island - everyone said you must see Koh Samui! It was a Jr. Phuket.... not really the laid back feel we were looking for but we stayed at a great resort and spoiled ourselves for the weekend.



Comments

About & Links