The Log of s/v Mentor

Meet the Crew

Who: Cindy and Dick Metler
Port: Seattle, WA
MENTOR, the boat Design: Amazon 44 Builder: Hull and deck - Dieter Pollack Systems and interior - Dick and Cindy Metler Hull: Steel Rig: Cutter Length: 44 feet Beam: 13' 8" Draft: 6' 6" MENTOR derives her name from Greek mythology. During the Trojan Wars, Mentor was the friend and counselor to Odysseus and tutor to his son Telemachus. In modern English, the word has become an eponym for a wise trustworthy teacher. We have needed such during the construction period and will continue to rely on what this boat can teach us as we heed her voice and head to sea.
26 February 2011 | Las Perlas Islands
25 February 2011 | Las Perlas Islands
24 February 2011 | Las Perlas Islands
23 February 2011 | Bahia Benao
21 February 2011 | Bahia Benao
20 February 2011 | Off Bahia Benao
18 February 2011 | Bahia Benao
16 February 2011
15 February 2011 | Isla Secas
13 February 2011 | Gulf of Chiriqui, Panama
12 February 2011 | Punta Balsa
09 February 2011 | Golfito
07 February 2011 | Drakes Bay
06 February 2011 | Puntarenas to Drakes Bay
02 February 2011
10 January 2011 | Seattle, Washington
31 December 2010 | Puesta del Sol, Nicaragua
19 December 2010 | Bahia del Sol, El Salvadir
17 December 2010 | 14 42’N:92 24’W

Adios Mexico

17 December 2010 | 14 42’N:92 24’W
With mixed emotions, we checked out of Mexico and headed south for new adventures in Central America. Mexico is a wonderful country - the people are welcoming, the culture fascinating, the sailing community supportive and the weather doesn’t get much better. However, we are ready to explore new territory and Central America promises a full plate of new experiences. Our check out from Mexico from Puerto Chiapas was far easier than anticipated. We had heard that the officials were cranky and that it was not a pleasant place so we were happily surprised by the courteous, friendly and almost efficient officials. The process in Puerto Chiapas involves one step more than other Mexican ports and that is the visit by the Mexican Navy upon arrival and departure. There is a fair amount of drug trafficking in this part of Mexico which the Mexicans are trying to get some semblance of control over. Good luck. As long as the US provides a ready market, the drugs will keep flowing. The Navy arrived for their first vessel check around 12:45PM and was back for the second check about 20 minutes before sunset. In between, we visited the port captain, customs, and immigration by truck, taxis (two) and successful hitchhiking, seeing some of the local environs in the process. We lifted anchor and headed out the breakwater just as the sun was setting for the 250 mile trip to Bahia del Sol.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mentor
Vessel Make/Model: Amazon 44
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA
Crew: Cindy and Dick Metler
About:
Dick and I began sailing together almost forty years ago. I was brought up messing around in boats while Dick found the zeal and passion of a true convert to life on the water after our marriage in 1970. [...]

Meet the Crew

Who: Cindy and Dick Metler
Port: Seattle, WA
MENTOR, the boat Design: Amazon 44 Builder: Hull and deck - Dieter Pollack Systems and interior - Dick and Cindy Metler Hull: Steel Rig: Cutter Length: 44 feet Beam: 13' 8" Draft: 6' 6" MENTOR derives her name from Greek mythology. During the Trojan Wars, Mentor was the friend and counselor to Odysseus and tutor to his son Telemachus. In modern English, the word has become an eponym for a wise trustworthy teacher. We have needed such during the construction period and will continue to rely on what this boat can teach us as we heed her voice and head to sea.