The Log of s/v Mentor

Meet the Crew

Who: Cindy and Dick Metler
Port: Seattle, WA
MENTOR, the boat Design: Amazon 44 Builder: Hull and deck - Dieter Pollack Systems and interior - Dick and Cindy Metler Hull: Steel Rig: Cutter Length: 44 feet Beam: 13' 8" Draft: 6' 6" MENTOR derives her name from Greek mythology. During the Trojan Wars, Mentor was the friend and counselor to Odysseus and tutor to his son Telemachus. In modern English, the word has become an eponym for a wise trustworthy teacher. We have needed such during the construction period and will continue to rely on what this boat can teach us as we heed her voice and head to sea.
26 February 2011 | Las Perlas Islands
25 February 2011 | Las Perlas Islands
24 February 2011 | Las Perlas Islands
23 February 2011 | Bahia Benao
21 February 2011 | Bahia Benao
20 February 2011 | Off Bahia Benao
18 February 2011 | Bahia Benao
16 February 2011
15 February 2011 | Isla Secas
13 February 2011 | Gulf of Chiriqui, Panama
12 February 2011 | Punta Balsa
09 February 2011 | Golfito
07 February 2011 | Drakes Bay
06 February 2011 | Puntarenas to Drakes Bay
02 February 2011
10 January 2011 | Seattle, Washington
31 December 2010 | Puesta del Sol, Nicaragua
19 December 2010 | Bahia del Sol, El Salvadir
17 December 2010 | 14 42’N:92 24’W

New Year's Eve-almost

31 December 2010 | Puesta del Sol, Nicaragua
We had for the most part an easy passage to Nicaragua. The wind and seas did kick up sometime after midnight when Dick and I were both off watch and taking a rest in the forepeak. It was hot and the hatch above our berth was open. While in a state of almost sleep, we felt the bow drop and heard a wave wash over the pulpit and surge down toward the open hatch rudely depositing at least two full buckets of water through the hatch and onto our sleeping bodies. We were soaked, the bedding was soaked and the wool mattress topper full of salt water. Fortunately the water was warm, and all we could do was laugh as we shed our wet clothes and hopped into the shower. We were both glad it was a one night passage and a marina was waiting which would make the clean up much easier. We crossed into the estuary early in the morning in time for a New Year’s Eve celebration. Or at least a planned celebration as we were all pretty tired from the long night on the water and did not make it to the appointed hour.
We had planned to skip Nicaragua as we had been told the marina was expensive and it was. However, we are so glad we did not miss the opportunity to visit this wonderful country. The check in to was simple – all officials came to the marina, and the facilities were lovely. Cooling off in the infinity pool, we looked out over the estuary toward the volcanoes that punctuate the spine of the country. The vegetation was lush and the countryside well cared for.
Along with Maggie and Neville, the six of us hired a van to take us into Granada, the oldest Spanish built city on the isthmus. Located on Lago de Nicaragua, the city was founded in 1524 and has a storied past linked to the discovery of gold and the heavy hand of the Spanish. Plundered and rebuilt, the city is again going through a restoration and is a happening place. We walked throughout the city enjoying the architecture and street life that clearly was benefiting from another resurgence in popularity. From Granada, we took the bus to Masaya where there was a craft market representing all of the regions of the country. It was a bit overwhelming verging on tacky, and I resisted buying anything. The town had almost no tourist accommodations but we did find a little hotel that a local doctor ran as a bed and breakfast. Roger was not able to practice medicine due to political choices so was making a living renting out rooms in his home and running tours. As we were not sure how we were going to get back to Puesta del Sol, he agreed to take the six of us in his tiny six person van. We crammed into the van, loaded the luggage rack with our bags and started on the four hour trip back to the boats. After stopping along the way to purchase cases of Nicaraguan rum that were added to the luggage rack, we looked about as authentic as any Nicaraguan traveling the countryside. We did, however, refrain from adding any chickens to the car top! With a stop in the University City of Leon, we made it back to the boat and prepared to check out the following morning for Costa Rica.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mentor
Vessel Make/Model: Amazon 44
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA
Crew: Cindy and Dick Metler
About:
Dick and I began sailing together almost forty years ago. I was brought up messing around in boats while Dick found the zeal and passion of a true convert to life on the water after our marriage in 1970. [...]

Meet the Crew

Who: Cindy and Dick Metler
Port: Seattle, WA
MENTOR, the boat Design: Amazon 44 Builder: Hull and deck - Dieter Pollack Systems and interior - Dick and Cindy Metler Hull: Steel Rig: Cutter Length: 44 feet Beam: 13' 8" Draft: 6' 6" MENTOR derives her name from Greek mythology. During the Trojan Wars, Mentor was the friend and counselor to Odysseus and tutor to his son Telemachus. In modern English, the word has become an eponym for a wise trustworthy teacher. We have needed such during the construction period and will continue to rely on what this boat can teach us as we heed her voice and head to sea.