La Palapa sails on

28 September 2011 | lanzareta island (or something like that)
27 September 2011 | banco de la concepcion
27 September 2011 | 150nm togo!
26 September 2011 | 40nm of the west tip of africa
26 September 2011 | atlantic ocean
26 September 2011 | 300nm from cananries
25 September 2011 | north atlantic off casablanca
23 September 2011 | gibraltar
23 September 2011 | gibraltar
22 September 2011 | gibraltar
21 September 2011 | gibraltar
20 September 2011 | gibraltar
18 September 2011 | gibraltar
17 September 2011 | spain/gibraltar
16 September 2011 | gibraltar
15 September 2011 | gibraltar
14 September 2011 | gibraltar
13 September 2011 | gibraltar
10 September 2011 | gibraltar

reunited with karli, for the moment

22 May 2011 | gocek
roger
so again i was up the mast first thing on slap dash for hopefully the final final trip. we had rivits the rivit gun and finally there was no stopping us. i was able to get the one half in rivit out and put in two brand new ones it was beautiful! i almost posted a picture of the finished product for all the engineers but decided on karli as she is heading off again :( after the mast event seth and i went over to palapa to try to knock off a couple more items on the todo list before i had to leave to rndv with karli at 230pm. all we managed to do was get the vhf cable run before i again had to pack the boat and get under way. it was a little challenging getting off the morning palapa really wanted to mate with slap dash so in the end seth jumped on and helped get the 300 feet of cain up. you could tell the windless was not super happy groaning away. i am glad i have the spare motor but am a bit concerned that i got a slightly lower wattage than the original.

i got into gocek and got the hook dropped and set 30 min ahead of schedule. i ended up a bit closer to this 50 ft beetau than i would have liked but it is hard to drop the hook in 80 ft of water by your self in 10 to 15 kts of wind! i texted karli my arrival as i expected she was getting her hair cut so i dropped of our propane and found a nice spot on the water for lunch (5$ beer and 4$ turkish pizza). i am a big short hair fan so i thought karli looked great but she was a bit traumatized by "so much being cut off". we had lunch and headed back to palapa for a nap. it was great to see karli again and in general she was much happier (other than the hair) she had finally tried out a turkish bath and had really enjoyed it. apparently it included a scrub and massage but they are all done by guys so i dont think i will be experiencing this!

karli was still not ready to jump back on palapa after her 24 hours ashore so after a bit of brainstorming i suggested she try to find a yoga course some place in turkey for a week or so. she thought this was a great plan and so after our nap we headed to shore with her laptop to see if there where any options. surprisingly enough almost immediately she found a place in the hills just 8km out of gocek where we where staying and it started tomorrow. she sent an email with her local cell and before we had finished dinner she had a call back from someone with the details.

i was glad to see karli excited about the new plan but not crazy about her leaving. being the supportive boyfriend i am i was upbeat about her trip in spite of my clogged head and overwhelming todo list. we made plans to go try to cover her card in the am from the bank and then get her off to the event.

cheers, roger
Comments
Vessel Name: La Palapa
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina/Morgan 440
Hailing Port: Lake View OR USA
Crew: Roger Hayward

Sail on La Palapa

Who: Roger Hayward
Port: Lake View OR USA