La Palapa sails on

28 September 2011 | lanzareta island (or something like that)
27 September 2011 | banco de la concepcion
27 September 2011 | 150nm togo!
26 September 2011 | 40nm of the west tip of africa
26 September 2011 | atlantic ocean
26 September 2011 | 300nm from cananries
25 September 2011 | north atlantic off casablanca
23 September 2011 | gibraltar
23 September 2011 | gibraltar
22 September 2011 | gibraltar
21 September 2011 | gibraltar
20 September 2011 | gibraltar
18 September 2011 | gibraltar
17 September 2011 | spain/gibraltar
16 September 2011 | gibraltar
15 September 2011 | gibraltar
14 September 2011 | gibraltar
13 September 2011 | gibraltar
10 September 2011 | gibraltar

Battery project Phase I

13 September 2011 | gibraltar
roger
So today i walked down to the battery place to pay for the batteries that where supposed to arrive. of course after finally finding the place i discovered i did not have my credit card (another story) and the batteries would not be arriving. i walked back to the boat and after recovering the credit card at the restaurant "we" had left it at the night before decided to prep for the batteries arrival.

as you can see from the photo i removed all but 3 batteries allowing my self access to the stuff below the batteries. these include the holding tank, and the fuel tank. it was good that i got a head start as i discovered the holding tank level sensor had completely come off the holding tank. i replaced this using gorilla tape, my new favorite replacement for duct tape! i also discovered evidence of leakage out the top of the tank where the "sweet air pump" was located (see me pointing). this thing supposedly pumps air like a fish tank into the holding tank to make it smell better. it had long ago stopped working. some of you may recall the macerator replacement in brisbane when i discovered some multi colred thing in the holding tank that had jammed and broken the macerator. this turned out to be part of this "sweet air" system. in any case i removed it entierly, found a plug wrapped it in plumbers tape and then just to be sure applied 5200 all around it.

i also decided to take a look at the fuel level sensor while i had this opportunity. i took it out and found nothing wrong on the sending unit. i tightened a few wires near the gage and then took the opportunity to calibrate it. i now know when it reads empty i have about 2 inches in the bottom of a 13 inch tank. when it bottoms out below empty i have 1 inch left! will have to work out what these means in volume.

these where once in a lifetime opportunities to fix stuff as when the batteries are in i have no access. hopefully i got both the fuel tank and holding tanks sealed properly or stand by for a very grumpy blog post! tomorrow batteries.

cheers, roger
Comments
Vessel Name: La Palapa
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina/Morgan 440
Hailing Port: Lake View OR USA
Crew: Roger Hayward

Sail on La Palapa

Who: Roger Hayward
Port: Lake View OR USA