La Palapa sails on

28 September 2011 | lanzareta island (or something like that)
27 September 2011 | banco de la concepcion
27 September 2011 | 150nm togo!
26 September 2011 | 40nm of the west tip of africa
26 September 2011 | atlantic ocean
26 September 2011 | 300nm from cananries
25 September 2011 | north atlantic off casablanca
23 September 2011 | gibraltar
23 September 2011 | gibraltar
22 September 2011 | gibraltar
21 September 2011 | gibraltar
20 September 2011 | gibraltar
18 September 2011 | gibraltar
17 September 2011 | spain/gibraltar
16 September 2011 | gibraltar
15 September 2011 | gibraltar
14 September 2011 | gibraltar
13 September 2011 | gibraltar
10 September 2011 | gibraltar

short term mast "fix"

16 September 2011 | gibraltar
roger
well when i got up this am i had another email from jim at the spar company about how the worm gear bearings where set up. based on this i elected to not try to remove the bearing asm from the mast as the bearings where not captive. instead i would have to drill the stainless bolt in place through the mast, arggg! i had already tried this the day before but had managed to break off the requered 3/16 cobalt drill bit, crap!

after karli an i finished a long talk about the future and "life the universe and everything" and wanted to head down town for a change of venue i readily agreed thinking this would be a perfect opportunity to get a new drill. after a beer or two and an ice cream for me i found a 4.5 mm cobalt drill for 2 pounds and we headed back.

in the end i was able to drill the bolt out in place but not extract it. i re-tapped it as will as i could with my 1/4 20 tap. i was only able to go about half way down so i ended up cutting the bolt in half and now only have about 1/3 of the threads in the aluminum i did before. jim recomending replacing the bolt with a 5/16 bolt but alas i do not have a 5/16 tap or bolt but will arrange to get these brought over with the goose neck on larrys next trip. i managed to finish this up just as the sun was setting.

we are kind of done with the marina so i decided to treat us to a celebratory "last dinner" at the "upscale" restaurant. i even wore shoes and long pants! karli got a delicious steak and fries and i got a massive burger. the best part was we managed to us up all of our english money (all 42 pounds). tomorrow we will try to get fuel and head a few 100 meters to spain!

cheers, roger
Comments
Vessel Name: La Palapa
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina/Morgan 440
Hailing Port: Lake View OR USA
Crew: Roger Hayward

Sail on La Palapa

Who: Roger Hayward
Port: Lake View OR USA