Sailing with Thor

09 July 2011 | Blaine Harbor
07 July 2011 | Montague Harbor, Galiano Island
05 July 2011 | Gabriola Island, BC
04 July 2011 | Musket Cove Marine Park, Hardy Island
01 July 2011 | Gorge Harbor, Cortes Island
29 June 2011 | Rebecca Spit Marine Park, Drew Bay
25 June 2011 | Octopus Islands Marine Park
23 June 2011 | Octopus Islands Marine Park
22 June 2011 | Walsh Harbor Marine Park
21 June 2011 | Roscoe Cove
20 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
18 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
16 June 2011 | Tenedos Bay
14 June 2011 | Squirrel Cove, Cortes Island
11 June 2011 | Squirrel Cove, Cortes Island
09 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
08 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
07 June 2011 | Egmont @Secret Bay, BC, Canada
04 June 2011 | Pender Harbor, BC, Canada
03 June 2011 | Smugglers Cove Marine Park

Anchored at Smuggler's Cove

03 June 2011 | Smugglers Cove Marine Park
We had our first rainy day yesterday, imagine that! Actually, the weather has been rather nice since we arrived last weekend. Saturday and Sunday were very nice with mostly sunny skies and temps in the mid to upper 60's. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were partly cloudy with some sun here and there with daytime temps in the low 60's. At night, the temps are down to the low 50's. Late Wednesday night we had a shower and then into Thursday (yesterday) it rained on and off all morning and let up sometime about mid afternoon. Today it is cool but an absolutely sunny spring day in the northwest with lots of sun. The forecast is for a warming trend and sun for the next 4 days so we are enjoying our short passage of about 26 miles to Smugglers Bay across the Straight of Georgia.

A little about Nanaimo: Nanaimo is known as the "Harbour City" (note the Canadian spelling) and is the second largest city on Vancouver Island and the third oldest city in British Columbia. It was originally home to five Coast Salish villages and was first settled by Europeans of the Hudson Bay Company that establish a fur trading outpost here. That was about 150 years ago and in the 1850's, Hudson Bay Company discovered a large deposit of coal under the city and the bay and started mining it. This was just in time for bunkering steamships and coal added quite a bit to their bottom line. Most of the miners came over from England they would sign a contract with HBC and then live in the company houses, (paying rent to the company of course) and buy their groceries from the company store. Life was tough back then. There is a sweet treat that is famous here, the Nanaimo Bar, a triple layer pastry that became popular in the 20th Century when British families sent them to their loved ones working in the coals mines.

Another local event worth mentioning: The world famous Great International Bathtub Race has been running the last weekend of July since 1967. Contestants navigate their bathtubs (yes, tubs fashioned into boats with motors!) out of the harbor around an island and back.

Today, we are heading for Smugglers Cove Marine Park on the mainland side. It's a beautiful day with unfortunately no wind so we are motoring across the Straight of Georgia. The sun is out and it's a beautiful day!
Comments
Vessel Name: Thor
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 40
Hailing Port: Bellingham, WA
Crew: Marc and Lorrie Cascio

Who: Marc and Lorrie Cascio
Port: Bellingham, WA