Sailing with Thor

09 July 2011 | Blaine Harbor
07 July 2011 | Montague Harbor, Galiano Island
05 July 2011 | Gabriola Island, BC
04 July 2011 | Musket Cove Marine Park, Hardy Island
01 July 2011 | Gorge Harbor, Cortes Island
29 June 2011 | Rebecca Spit Marine Park, Drew Bay
25 June 2011 | Octopus Islands Marine Park
23 June 2011 | Octopus Islands Marine Park
22 June 2011 | Walsh Harbor Marine Park
21 June 2011 | Roscoe Cove
20 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
18 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
16 June 2011 | Tenedos Bay
14 June 2011 | Squirrel Cove, Cortes Island
11 June 2011 | Squirrel Cove, Cortes Island
09 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
08 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
07 June 2011 | Egmont @Secret Bay, BC, Canada
04 June 2011 | Pender Harbor, BC, Canada
03 June 2011 | Smugglers Cove Marine Park

Chatterbox Falls

08 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
Early start for us this morning, leaving the dock at Egmont at 06:00 hours. Wind calm and partly cloudy skies. Our destination, Chatterbox Falls at the head of Princess Louisa Inlet. Our route took us up Prince of Wales Reach then to Princess Royal Reach and then through Queens Reach. Together they all make up Jervis Inlet with imposing and steep sided mountains on both sides. We counted numerous small waterfalls along the way. Thirty five miles later, we came to the entrance of Princess Louisa Inlet, on which is located the grandiose Malibu Lodge run by Young LIfe, a Christian group. The entrance to Princess Louisa Inlet is a very narrow gorge with the imposing name of Malibu Rapids with currents running up to 9 knots in the pass. We had timed our arrival for slack water on the high tide and passed through with no problems. Magestic Princess Louisa Inlet was carved out by gigantic glaciers millions of years ago and is guarded along its length by mountains 6500 feet high. The waters of the inlet are very deep and beautifully calm and serene. The entire four miles that we had to go to the head of the inlet is lined with trees and slender waterfalls sprouting from the sheer granite walls that tower high above us. It's like being in a Norwegian fiord. The water is over 2000 feet deep! At the head of the inlet was our goal...Chatterbox Falls. The falls tumble 1600 feet over granite boulders before emptying into the inlet below. There is a dock but we opted to anchor just to the left of the falls, first dropping the bow anchor in about 100 feet of water and then taking a stern line to shore. The noise of the falls in almost deafening. This place is awe inspiring...words are hard to come by to describe it but it's like being in a large bowl of water with the walls around us going straight up. There are some walls that are sheer granite faces, some with smaller water falls spilling over the side and other walls that actually have trees growing on them although they are so steep, I can't see how they can get a foot hold. Later on our hike, we saw some trees that had roots engulfing rocks and boulders...very surrealistic. The clouds thickened up late in the day and we had a little bit of a shower, the first rain that we have had since Nanaimo a week ago...not bad for June!
Comments
Vessel Name: Thor
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 40
Hailing Port: Bellingham, WA
Crew: Marc and Lorrie Cascio

Who: Marc and Lorrie Cascio
Port: Bellingham, WA