Sailing with Thor

09 July 2011 | Blaine Harbor
07 July 2011 | Montague Harbor, Galiano Island
05 July 2011 | Gabriola Island, BC
04 July 2011 | Musket Cove Marine Park, Hardy Island
01 July 2011 | Gorge Harbor, Cortes Island
29 June 2011 | Rebecca Spit Marine Park, Drew Bay
25 June 2011 | Octopus Islands Marine Park
23 June 2011 | Octopus Islands Marine Park
22 June 2011 | Walsh Harbor Marine Park
21 June 2011 | Roscoe Cove
20 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
18 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
16 June 2011 | Tenedos Bay
14 June 2011 | Squirrel Cove, Cortes Island
11 June 2011 | Squirrel Cove, Cortes Island
09 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
08 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
07 June 2011 | Egmont @Secret Bay, BC, Canada
04 June 2011 | Pender Harbor, BC, Canada
03 June 2011 | Smugglers Cove Marine Park

Anchored at Prideaux Haven

18 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
Had a little rain last night...the day was partly cloudy but late in the day, the clouds thickened up. Sometime in the middle of the night, we were awakened with the rain drumming on the deck above our heads and I jumped out of the bunk to close the two overhead hatches that we had open. Although overcast, the rain had stopped this morning. After two days at Tenodos we released the stern lines and pulled up the anchor and headed the short distance to Prideaux Haven, reported to be the most popular anchorage in Desolation Sound. We found it rightly so...there are 3 large anchorages, Prideaux Haven, Melanie Cove and Laura Cove. Don't know who Melanie and Laura are or were nor where the name Prideaux comes from but most likely a "settler" from the early days. We checked out Melanie Cove but found it too dark (lots of trees on high bluffs) for our liking and decided on the east end of Prideaux Haven where there is plenty of sunshine (when it's not covered by clouds) and has some fabulous mountain views. We anchored with two other sailboats already there and later a fourth sailboat came in. We spent the afternoon rowing the dinghy exploring all the inlets and lagoons that the anchorage has to offer. Being low tide, the "landscape" was really neat showing lots of oysters on the rocks. There were many small inlets, nooks and crannies in this anchorage, all very shallow where no boats but dinghys and kayaks can travel. The inlets eventually connected to Laura Cove where we found three other boats anchored. And a rope swing...someone had installed a swing in a large tree overhanging the water inviting anyone to take a swing and most probably a refreshing plunge into the water. If it were July and warmer, I would probably do it! Although the water temperature has warmed up to about 62 degrees, the air temp is still only about 70 and a little cool. Another time, perhaps. Later after dinner and just before dark (total nightfall does not occur until about 11 pm this time of year) a large sailboat squeezed into the anchorage and dropped two anchors quite near us. Too near...where they had the entire western half of the anchorage to anchor in they chose to drop within 100 feet of us. Very rude in cruising etiquette. If they don't move on in the morning, I will politely ask them to move.
Comments
Vessel Name: Thor
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 40
Hailing Port: Bellingham, WA
Crew: Marc and Lorrie Cascio

Who: Marc and Lorrie Cascio
Port: Bellingham, WA