Sailing with Thor

09 July 2011 | Blaine Harbor
07 July 2011 | Montague Harbor, Galiano Island
05 July 2011 | Gabriola Island, BC
04 July 2011 | Musket Cove Marine Park, Hardy Island
01 July 2011 | Gorge Harbor, Cortes Island
29 June 2011 | Rebecca Spit Marine Park, Drew Bay
25 June 2011 | Octopus Islands Marine Park
23 June 2011 | Octopus Islands Marine Park
22 June 2011 | Walsh Harbor Marine Park
21 June 2011 | Roscoe Cove
20 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
18 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
16 June 2011 | Tenedos Bay
14 June 2011 | Squirrel Cove, Cortes Island
11 June 2011 | Squirrel Cove, Cortes Island
09 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
08 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
07 June 2011 | Egmont @Secret Bay, BC, Canada
04 June 2011 | Pender Harbor, BC, Canada
03 June 2011 | Smugglers Cove Marine Park

Home!

09 July 2011 | Blaine Harbor
Almost 11 months ago, we left Blaine Harbor for a little sailing adventure down the western US coast and on to Mexico. We've now "closed the loop" as it's called and Thor is now tied up at a slip in Blaine Harbor. Yesterday, we safely crossed the Straight of Georgia over to Point Roberts, WA to clear customs and then the final stretch to Blaine. After leaving Montague Harbor, we had to transit the last pass on our voyage, busy Active Pass. Active Pass is a wider passage than several of the others we transited, and the current is not quite as strong but we planned to go through with the flood current and enjoyed a 2 knot boost of favorable current along the 2 mile stretch. While in the pass we encountered two very large BC Ferries...one coming and one going, and in the pass at the same time! These mammoth ships travel at speeds up to 22 knots and can be very intimidating especially in the confined space of a pass. But we gave them plenty of room and had no problems. On the other end of Active Pass is the Straight of Georgia and we motored the 10 miles to Point Roberts with no wind and a choppy confused sea. Point Roberts is a small community on a penninsula that juts into the Straight of Georgia...to get to Point Roberts by vehicle, you have to pass through Canadian Customs into Canada and then pass back through US Customs into Point Roberts. Kind of interestesting...Google it and look it up on MapQuest to see what it looks like. After clearing customs, we set sail toward Blaine. A nice breeze came up from the southeast and we had a very nice sail all the rest of the way...and the sun was out, too! A nice end to our trip.

The trip was great...we'd do it again and probably will sometime in the future. It's great to be home but still bittersweet as we will miss being on the boat for the extended time. This will be our final post to the blog although will be posting pictures to the previous blogs now that we have internet service available. And we also will be trying to post additional pictures in groups or "albums" if I can figure out how to do it, so check back for that if you are interested!
Comments
Vessel Name: Thor
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 40
Hailing Port: Bellingham, WA
Crew: Marc and Lorrie Cascio

Who: Marc and Lorrie Cascio
Port: Bellingham, WA