SailBlog

Vessel Name: Inspired Insanity
Vessel Make/Model: Southern Cross 28
Hailing Port: Virgin Islands
Extra: First American Woman to Solo Sail Nonstop Around the World
Home Page: www.donnalange.com
Social:
10 July 2016 | Bristol RI
15 June 2016 | 35 00'N:75 05'W, Another wild few days ahead... deja vu.
13 June 2016 | 30 00'N:79 35'W, in the Gulf Stream off Jacksonville Fl
01 June 2016 | 41 24'N:71 25'W, Just arriving in Lake Worth... leaving again tomorrow in my car back to RI
29 May 2016 | 41 24'N:71 25'W, Bristol RI: Herreshoff Museum Dock
26 May 2016 | 41 24'N:71 25'W, a day to tidy up...
25 May 2016 | 40 54'N:71 52'W, starry night sky, farewell dance for now...
25 May 2016 | 40 28'N:72 30'W, ?? Arrival to bay tomorrow afternoon: 2 days to events
25 May 2016 | 40 28'N:72 30'W, ?? Arrival to bay tomorrow afternoon: 2 days to events
24 May 2016 | 39 47'N:73 16'W, 4 days to arrival..incredible to imagine...
23 May 2016 | 39 11'N:74 00'W, 4 days to arrival..incredible to imagine...
22 May 2016 | 38 10'N:73 30-'W, 4 days to arrival..incredible to imagine...
21 May 2016 | 36 37'N:74 03'W, 5 days to arrive... made 157nm yesterday..only 300nm to go
21 May 2016 | 36 37'N:74 03'W, 5 days to arrive... made 157nm yesterday..only 300nm to go
20 May 2016 | 35 15'N:74 45'W, 6 days to arriving!!!
20 May 2016 | 34 27'N:75 19'W, 7 days to arriving!!!
18 May 2016 | 32 12'N:77 32'W, 8 days to my arrival... keep an eye on the tracker!!
17 May 2016 | 30 26'N:79 01'W, 9 days to my arrival... keep an eye on the tracker!!
16 May 2016 | 27 45'N:79 48'W, 11 days to my arrival... keep an eye on the tracker!!
16 May 2016 | 26 'N:79 48'W, 11 days to my arrival... keep an eye on the tracker!!
Recent Blog Posts
10 July 2016 | Bristol RI

Journeying On

The summer has barely begun in Rhode Island and the mornings already seem to be cool, almost a scent of autumn air… How is that possible? There is so much to do. Each day seems to begin and end with a sense of having been floating on air, my feet barely touching the ground. “What is it like now, [...]

15 June 2016 | 35 00'N:75 05'W, Another wild few days ahead... deja vu.

Passing Diamond Shoals off Cape Hatteras!!!

There was no warning�... the day touting varying winds from the SE to SW, the sails trimmed in and let back out over and over to keep us moving as fast as we could, the engine called upon when we weren�'t moving fast enough. I was making breakfast when Bob went up on deck responding to a sound�... next [...]

13 June 2016 | 30 00'N:79 35'W, in the Gulf Stream off Jacksonville Fl

Offshore once more: SV Calyspo is heading north!

It seems endless, the need to keep pressing, keep moving, from one point to another, the whole world of details needing to be dealt with upon returning after so long offshore, after having completely detached from the world system. Yet, there is a dream state that wants to believe I would not reattach�... [...]

01 June 2016 | 41 24'N:71 25'W, Just arriving in Lake Worth... leaving again tomorrow in my car back to RI

the MISSING BLOGS: are coming

Hang in there... I am enroute to Florida to get my car... a busy week. I am getting the 'missing blogs' going. I just realized that I didn't write any blog the days I was knocked down...though Bob did an incredible job of keeping you updated and with the details...He was totally accurate and you all [...]

29 May 2016 | 41 24'N:71 25'W, Bristol RI: Herreshoff Museum Dock

Magnificent Welcome Home

PHOTO: after knockdowns at Cape Horn and heading for Panama WATCH FOR NEW BLOGS : FROM FEB.14- MAR 28�... HANDWRITTEN UNDERWAY AFTER MY COMPUTER BROKE, TO BE TRANSCRIBED AND POSTED OVER THE NEXT SIX WEEKS�... STAY TUNED!!!

moderating conditons : homeward tack!!!

23 May 2016 | 39 11'N:74 00'W, 4 days to arrival..incredible to imagine...
Donna
photo; sunny warm days

The overnight lows were bitter cold as the winds continue to blow 20kts from the ENE�... I continue on a heading toward the NJ coast, to avoid the stronger headwinds�... I got some rest last night as the wind was steady and our course dependent on being closehauled. I met with a fishing fleet off the Delaware bay entrance shelf, 45nm offshore, our course just clear of the fringe of their fishing.

In the morning light, the clouds were a high stratus ceiling, the edges sharp that would usher in blue skies and sunshine�...yet it would only last a few hours before the clouds started to fill in again. Bob and I were able to talk this morning and he filled me in on the weather. The radar shows more rain coming off the coast this afternoon, so there is the �'other �'side of the storm conditions still to arrive. As I get closer to the coast, the conditions will moderate and then I will tack back once the winds go north enough to tack at a more east, rather than southeast heading. Hopefully the winds will shift soon enough�... but the winds are also to be more northerly near the coast.

I am fielding input on the arrival plans, working with my amazing team of folks and Halsey Herreshoff who is a gem, completely opening his facilities for my arrival home. It is hard to believe that we were having celestial navigation lessons a whole year ago now�... it is almost as if the journey was a dream as the days countdown to my completion of the circumnavigation.

As the time is now approaching, and I have a forecast...though it is mercilessly changing still, day-by-day... by all reason, I will arrive before the 27th and the events will happen on the 27th... Halsey has offered to provide an escort for me down the bay that day, with my family aboard Sv Rugosa, meeting me at the mouth of the bay at 1100, planning to arrive at the Herreshoff dock around 3pm. I am so hoping other boats will join the flotilla!!! Kathy and Bonnie will have refreshments set up at the dock around 230pm... We have been publishing the arrival at the dock as a public event so there may be other folks gathering on the docks waiting for us. Then we will all convene with additional folks from the public for a welcome event at the Hall of Boats from 530 to 630pm.

It is amazing... Now I just need to arrive... the forecast has suggested there would be such wonderful weather for several days and now it is deteriorating to windlessness and a frontal pass on the 26-27th... so as per New England weather and forecasts �... they are fairly useless at predicting times, only generalities of passing weather...

I am presently sailing NW toward Atlantic City, only 27nm away. Over the last 2 days I have been tacking midst two storm centers with strong winds from the NE on my nose ... the north winds tarrying with each forecast...now to shift tomorrow in the morning to north, then west... but now only for a day before the winds dwindle... so... I am hoping to get into the bay by the end of the 25th on those west winds to avoid the windlessness of the 26th. By the 27th, the winds have shifted to an easterly breeze, which should be favorable for the sail up and down the bay for the event... The reprieve for a day inside the safety and calm of the bay will be appreciated as I prepare for the last leg up the bay.

I am so so very grateful to everyone for all the amazing support and effort you have graciously volunteered and given from your hearts over these last months looking forward to my arrival... for the last 10 months of this incredible journey�... We are all ready for me to finally get home. I am very ready to be off the sea... and will take advantage of the day or so to recover at a quiet anchorage in the bay. Thank you so so very much...

I am finding myself busy with planning and not paying enough attention to sailing�... I have to get there still�... The winds have become too light too close to the coast�... shoot�... Atlantic City looming on the northwest horizon�... Yet, the winds closer to the coast are a bit more northerly giving me a better heading for a bit and I have avoided the strong winds of the gale stalling just east of me�... and that is fine.

I am 182nm @ 42*T from Home�... on a due 90*T east course. The conditions below are sublime they are so comfortable, the winds too light but it is so sweet to enjoy a non-violent, gentle sail. As the winds finally back to the North overnight, my course will gradually come around to one that is a rumline for home. I trust that IS and I will make fair headway home. At this moment, it seems that the storm conditions are now beyond me.

Keepin On Sailin On Caring�... Homeward Bound�... I am �... Homeward Bound. Fairest of winds and the love of the oceans, Only Gratitude Donna
Comments

About & Links