Family Cruising

16 February 2010 | Mexico
26 January 2010 | Maz
25 January 2010 | Maz
25 January 2010 | Maz
10 January 2010 | Mazatlan, MX
06 January 2010 | Mazatlan, MX
02 January 2010 | Mazatlan, MX
01 January 2010 | Mazatlan, MX
29 December 2009 | Mazatlan, MX
26 December 2009 | Mazatlan, MX
24 December 2009 | Mazatlan, MX
23 December 2009 | Mazatlan, MX
22 December 2009 | Mazatlan, MX
18 December 2009 | Mexico
17 December 2009 | La Paz, MX
16 December 2009 | La Paz, MX
15 December 2009 | La Paz, MX
13 December 2009 | La Paz, MX
08 December 2009 | La Paz, MX

We've moved aboard!!!!

25 January 2010 | Maz
Meri
Okay... how do you get large 8x4 plywood from Home Depot to the boat without a truck? Easy! Carolyne and I took the bus that dropped us off across the street from Home Depot for 6 pesos each. After amazing myself by speaking Spanish and asking for plywood, paint, a plastic coupler and jigsaw blades (pat, pat, pat!), I paid for our space-hog booty and asked the sweet little senorita at the Help Desk if she would call the "Auriga" for us... the red pick up truck taxi service. He arrived five minutes later and for 80 pesos he drove us and all our stuff to the marina.

Since we're waiting for the engine guy to come and it looks like it might not happen at all, Jim began to work on the bunk bed over the pullman berth... Tim will sleep in the pullman and Carolyne will be atop in the bunk. Jim cut and built the platform for the foam mattress to sit upon. He took a shelf piece (large, wide trim) and affixed it to the side of the bed so it looks like it was manufactured that way... beautiful! I made a pattern of the odd shaped bed out of left over Christmas wrapping paper and headed off on the bus again to the Pierna Tapia store to get foam. I found 3" firm foam for $543 pesos and they cut to specification using my Christmas wrapping paper pattern that I had cut and taped together in the shape and size matched to the bed. They rolled up the foam for me and I got back on the bus with my mattress in tow.

The kids were so excited that we decided today was the day to move onto the Tartan! It's still a mess with too much left on the boat from the previous owner and too much we really want to keep off of 'Windfall', but the time feels appropriate. So, I took a picture of the kids in their beds last night... the fist night living aboard the Tartan. Tim was uncooperative, as usual, for the photo moment... SIGH. I should have let him go fishing and then he would have been more willing to show off with his catch on the ketch! Oh well, I remember being difficult during photos at that age... my mother gave up trying to get me to cooperate!

Comments
Vessel Name: Was Windfall; is now Hotspur
Vessel Make/Model: was 35' Cal Cruising; now 41' Tartan TOCK
Hailing Port: Olathe, Colorado
Crew: Jim, Meri, Tim, Carolyne & Bailey-Dog FAULKNER
About: Sold everything... home, business, things-n-stuff and moved aboard 35' sailing vessel to see the world... or part of it, anyway. After a year and a half, we love it so much we upgraded to a 41' Tartan TOCK ketch to continue the adventure!

Cruising Family of Four

Who: Jim, Meri, Tim, Carolyne & Bailey-Dog FAULKNER
Port: Olathe, Colorado