Salish Dragon Tales

20 December 2021 | Mexico City
14 April 2020
27 March 2020
26 March 2020 | Port Coquitlam
24 March 2020 | Undisclosed Location, Port Coquitlam BC
04 March 2020 | Zihuatanejo
26 February 2020 | Zihuatanejo
11 February 2020 | Tenacatita
03 February 2020 | Mazzy
03 February 2020 | Mazatlan
01 February 2020 | Mazatlan
01 February 2020 | Mazzy
26 March 2019 | La Cruz de Huanacastle
19 December 2018 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
25 September 2018
12 September 2018 | Santa Cruz
19 August 2018 | Eureka, CA
12 August 2018 | Coos Bay
30 June 2018

The Great Pacific Turtle Patch

26 February 2020 | Zihuatanejo
Steve Dolling | Sunny
Plastic is messy.

On our way from Manzanillo down to Zihuatanejo we encountered plastic debris in the ocean. Floating on the surface, we found exactly one Size 8 navy blue Croc, left foot, with the strap missing. We brought it aboard for a picture before releasing it back into the wild unharmed. We saw no other plastic in an otherwise pristine ocean.

We did however encounter between 80 and 100 sea turtles. We brought none aboard for pictures.

So the ratio of plastic to sea creatures was 1 to 100. Except we all know that is a Croc. There were a lot of other sea creatures we couldn't see. There was also likely a whole lot of other plastic.

The messy part about the plastic is we have a lot of beliefs that are unfortunately not necessarily based on reality.

For example, we are often reminded of the islands of plastic that are out in the oceans. The "Great Pacific Garbage" patch is purported to be an island of plastic twice the size of Texas in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. The problem is that it doesn't exist. At least not in any form we would recognize as a plastic island.

There is a higher density of plastic debris in the gyres including microplastics that are measured by dragging fine nets behind boats and then counting the number of particles per cubic meter of water. These "islands" are not visible by satellite, conventional photography, or human eye. They are a construct in our imagination that can only be observed one widely spaced floating net or microparticle at a time. The plastic is there. It's just not an island in any sense that we imagine an island to be.

But if we call them "Plastic Islands" then we need accompanying visuals, so any news story or article will inevitably use some footage of a seriously polluted bay in Indonesia or the Philippines where plastic has collected. It is nowhere near the location of the "2 times Texas-sized plastic island" that we all hope to see. Google "plastic island" you will see land in the background in many of the images. It is a small lie that we hope helps people understand how serious the problem is.

Unfortunately, this conflation of two ideas (the higher density of plastics in the gyres with the localized trash island) undermines the credibility of the whole message. People take it literally and start inventing solutions to fix the problem based on images they see of things that don't exist in the form that they think they do. We see giant booms (made of plastic) that are deployed in the ocean being broken up by seas and not actually working. Any solution is unlikely to discriminate well between sea life (whales, plankton) and plastic. If a turtle can't tell the difference between a plastic bag and a jellyfish, what is the giant boom going to do? It's either not going to catch the plastic, or it's going to take a lot of sea life with it.

Other organizations have much more active efforts. One group promises to scoop a pound of plastic from the ocean in exchange for your purchase of a plastic bracelet. Oh good, we solve the problem of plastic in the ocean with the distribution of more useless plastic. Once you read the details of their efforts with a 100 foot plus ship with a 48,000-gallon fuel capacity, it is actually difficult to figure out if you sent them $20 would you be improving the world or making it a little bit worse. Seriously I don't know and there is not nearly enough data shared to make a decent assessment.

The biggest problem with giant ocean plastic scooping solutions is that we humans will put our undying faith in technology into them. There is no need to change human behaviour if some do-good organization is going to fix the problem. If you know that some machine is going to scoop the plastic out of the river are you more or less likely to toss your water bottle off the bridge?

Or worse, we have some misdirected notion of what is important. A turtle in Costa Rica got a plastic straw stuck in his nose and became a viral internet sensation. Governments introduce laws banning plastic straws. New fortunes are made in stainless steel straws. I have had no fewer than 4 different types of organic biodegradable straws delivered to me in restaurants.

They all came in plastic wrappers.

There are what? One or two turtles in the world with straws stuck up their noses? Maybe a hundred? There are thousands upon thousands of turtles that are consuming jellyfish-mimicking clear plastic. We kind of missed the point on the whole straw thing. The turtles might actually be better served with a plastic straw in a paper wrapper, but we are all happy we are doing our part.

Many of us can't imagine deliberately throwing our plastic into the environment. Not everyone thinks this way. Our dingy ride into the dock on the day the cruise ship was here in Zihua involved stopping no less than 3 times to pick up plastic bottles and Styrofoam cups. And we could see dozens of others in all directions. People do throw their stuff in the oceans. Or places near the ocean.

On our way to see the sea turtle release yesterday, we rode in the back of a pickup truck with a bunch of school kids who were on their way to Barra de Potosi. One boy was having some flavoured milk that he picked up from Cremería la Vaquita right where the truck picked us up beside the highway. The milk was served in a plastic bag with a plastic straw. As we drove along, the warm moist air was condensing onto his bag and then blowing droplets back into my face. And then as he slurped the last of his milk, he artfully slipped his hand down over the cab of the truck and released his bag and straw into the wild so they would be free to blow around the Guerrero seaside. No more droplets spattered my face. He knew enough to be very discrete so that nobody would notice he threw his plastic into the environment, but he didn't feel it was intrinsically bad enough behaviour that he ought to hold onto the bag until he got to town.

For all the plastic in the oceans, it is hard to imagine solutions that are going to clean it all up without causing more problems. And even if they do, it is likely to be a human-happy surface- level cosmetic solution that does nothing about the vast quantities of plastic deeper in the water column and on the seafloor that scientists believe are really the vast bulk of the problem.

So if all this sounds a little depressing, it may be. There is no techno-fix that is going to undo this problem. We might just have to stop buying so much plastic and throwing it into our environment. A beach cleanup is good idea, but please don't post any more pictures of plastic islands and tell people it's the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. That makes it somebody else's problem begging for a technical solution.

Stop worrying about straws. Don't throw your bag out of the truck. Teach a kid about turtles.

Plastic is messy.


Comments
Vessel Name: Salish Dragon
Vessel Make/Model: Manta 40
Hailing Port: Vancouver
Crew: Steve, Tracey, & Sometimes Foster
About: Steve and Tracey have sailed out of Vancouver and are heading south until they can turn off the diesel heater. One day, they might come back.
Salish Dragon's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 19 August 2018
Drone shots at Butedale and points to the south.
20 Photos
Created 28 May 2017
Knight Inlet, Glendale Cove and Approaches
11 Photos
Created 17 May 2017
Hanging with Gato Go in our last week in the Sea of Cortez
29 Photos
Created 9 July 2010
Exploring the Historic Copper Mining Town. The mine was purchased by the French and the town architecture has a distinct french influence.
34 Photos
Created 14 June 2010
Beach party in San Jaunico, La Launcha on Isla Carmen, Honeymoon Cove on Isla Dazante, New bottom paint in Escondido, Bahia Coyote in Bahia Concepcion
47 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 12 June 2010
Saun Juanico, Isla Carmen, Isla Coranado, downtown Loreto, visits with Sarah from Puerto Moreles, re-united with sv Gato Go
107 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 23 May 2010
Met up with sv Evergreen, Josh, Carol and Dennis. Visited: Bonanza, Los Islotes, East Bay of San Francisco, Isla San Jose' and Evaristo.
88 Photos
Created 5 May 2010
A few weeks dockside to work on some projects before heading north into the Sea of Cortez.
61 Photos
Created 18 April 2010
The Dulaba's are aboard in La Paz at Marina Palmira and we explore some of the pristine anchorages on Isla Espiritu and Isla San Francisco
43 Photos
Created 6 April 2010
36 Photos
Created 6 April 2010
77 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 March 2010
10 Photos
Created 17 March 2010
Making our way north. The Hillels on board until Feb 23. Tsunumi level one alert on Sat Feb 27th.
110 Photos
Created 17 March 2010
Travelling from Z Town to Manzanillo. Meeting with Al Sue and Hadley in Las Hadas Feb 13 for a week cruise with them.
25 Photos
Created 17 March 2010
The Walker family visits us in Z-Town.
102 Photos
Created 19 January 2010
Barra Navidad,
22 Photos
Created 26 December 2009
74 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
29 Photos
Created 18 November 2009
The 2009 BaHa Ha Ha Rally, 160 sailboats
121 Photos
Created 16 November 2009
35 Photos
Created 9 October 2009
The start of our journey
117 Photos
Created 10 August 2009
26 Photos
Created 15 July 2009