Sally of Hamble

Salcombe to Guernsey

06 July 2016 | St Peter Port
Weather: windless and hot
We slipped lines at 0530 and motored out into the still morning, set a course of 140 degrees T and set the engine to 1500 revs. There was no wind at all. The tide pushed us east for 5 hours then west for a bit and we arrived at the SE corner of Guernsey at 1700, on schedule for our passage plan and in time to pick up a strong tide around the bottom of the island and then up into St Peters Port. We did the remaining 10 nautical miles in just one hour. Very uneventful except Pete saw a sun fish shortly out of Salcombe.

Within the harbour the waiting pontoon was rafted 4 deep on each side and the harbour masters boats were whizzing about moving people into the inner harbour. We found ourselves a slot at the other end of the pontoons and tied up, prepared to stay outside and get the water taxi ashore. It had been a long day and I way looking toward to a glass of wine ashore.
Within minutes a harbour boat approach and suggested we move inside, just hold tight he said. He would be back. We tidied the sails and lines in the glorious summer evening and held tight. A short while later he returned and guided us into the harbour, pointing at a narrow finger berth almost straight ahead. That should be easy enough. Seconds later we were in place with barely an inch each side. There was a bit of a party going on on the pontoon which quickly turned into a welcoming committee to take our lines with one hand while holding their drink in the other and give advice on how to tie them up. They even took out electric cable and plugged it in for us.

Safely in, we headed to our favourite bar in the harbour for a glass of red and a burger.

Photo from out berth of the water rushing over the sill as the tide rose.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sally of Hamble
Vessel Make/Model: Rival 41C
Hailing Port: Southampton
Crew: Pete & Lindsey Blow