Sally of Hamble

Escape from Guernsey

11 July 2016
Inside the pool at St. Peter port is a bit of a trap. We had a good spot with a view of the sill, there was water and electricity so the fridge was cold, there are restaurants and cafes and shops nearby. Why leave! Penned in by other boats leaving would not be easy anyway. We could happily spend a lot of time here in our caravan by the sea. But it's expensive to moor here. And we would like to go sailing.

It was raining this morning. Today was going to be all about preparation for moving on. Pete got out the charts and tidal stream atlas and started planning out escape. I went to the laundry. Unfortunately so did everyone else and there was a long wait for machines and dryers. Pete turned up eventually and took me to lunch while the dryer did its job.

We shopped got provisions and just one task remained before we headed out to sea tomorrow. Our canvas tent had ripped in two places and was letting the rain in. It's a long process with a needle and thread to fix it. Pete considered unblocking the macerator pump for the heads which had been troubling him for a while but wasn't urgent. The sun was out and so we sat in the cockpit and he helped me sew up the tent. Pete learnt running stitch and was deservedly proud of his accomplishment. The macerator pump can wait for another day. I know Pete is looking forward to it :-)
Comments
Vessel Name: Sally of Hamble
Vessel Make/Model: Rival 41C
Hailing Port: Southampton
Crew: Pete & Lindsey Blow