Sally of Hamble

St Catherine Bay to Lezardriux

14 July 2016
Bastille Day and we are going to France. It's not that far but we need to clear the reefs off Jersey first. There are fields of jagged rocks sticking out of the sea we need to pass between. They are very spectacular to look at. Once through it is just 40 miles to the bit of the French coast we have chosen. It was a long, uneventful passage until we approached the entry point of the river system. There are strong cross tides here and we were glad to be visiting at neaps. Even so the sea became short and bouncy and it was a struggle to get the Genoa in.

Lezardrieux is 10 miles inland up a long river system with spectacular sharp rocks and tall concrete conical structures for lateral marks. The tides here are huge and it was important to arrive at slack water. We had chosen to arrive at low tide so the lateral marks towered above us, the sunset bathing everything with an orange glow.

Eventually we arrived at the marina which was busy. We rafted up with another boat just as dusk fell and went ashore to find a cash point for some euros and a drink, maybe even some food. It was 11pm French time and the fireworks started. Everyone was out for Bastille celebrations with live music and hotdog stands. We stood and watched the amazing display of fireworks over the marina, thankful that we arrived when we did and were not trying to moor up under the bangs and flashes.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sally of Hamble
Vessel Make/Model: Rival 41C
Hailing Port: Southampton
Crew: Pete & Lindsey Blow