Sally of Hamble

Pampol by bus

16 July 2016
We visited Pampol by bus. Pete went to check the timetable on the shore while I finished my cup of tea in bed. He returned to say we had 40 minutes to get ready and get to the bus stop in town. No breakfast then!

The journey was only 10 minutes and we had breakfast in a cafe in Pampol overlooking the marina. Pampol marina is inside a lock to retain the water when the tide goes out. Not much was happening as the gates were shut. We looked round the many shops, most of them boutiques. It was hot again so after lunch in another cafe we walked out past the marina to the beach. The water had receded leaving a green mud behind but further along was a lido so was sat and watched for a while then headed back to town as the tide began to return.

When we got to the lock gate, with the encroaching water, boats were now beginning to file into the lock gate. More and more boats packed in, with the davitts on the large motor boat catching on shrouds of smaller boats, everyone pushing and pulling to get their boat in and then work their way to the front of the queue if they could. In the marina more boats were jockeying for position to squash in at the back. Eventually the lock master decided he could take no more and closed the gate. We counted 21 boats full of hot people waiting to get out to sea. The whole process of getting the boats in had taken so long the water level outside was almost enough anyway and the seaward gate opened soon after to release them all.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sally of Hamble
Vessel Make/Model: Rival 41C
Hailing Port: Southampton
Crew: Pete & Lindsey Blow