Sally of Hamble

St. Peter Port to Fermain Bay, Guernsey

19 July 2016
What a difference a day makes. It's cold and the visibility had really closed in. The wind got up in the night and whistled through the rigging of the rafted boats. Boats at the back were trying to leave and making small paths between large fat bottom boats to get out. Plenty to watch!

We bought provisions and headed our ourselves that evening. Favourable tide took us to Shell Bay on Herm but the wind was still blowing and it didn't look sheltered for an overnight stop so we headed back to Guernsey and Fermain Bay. The tide was definitely foul with sometime 3 knots against us. We passed over Les Bouillions which is a shallow patch of water and it did appear to be boiling with a flat circular area in the middle. We are learning lots about tides in Guernsey!

We dropped anchor in the middle of the bay and, despite the many planes over head, had a peaceful evening on board. Unfortunately the night was not so peaceful. With no wind and only current to affect out position, another boat drifted very close to us about 1 o'clock and banged on the coach roof with a boat hook to wake us up. It was a big alarming to say the least. We got up quickly, pulled up the anchor and picked up a mooring buoy. Even it it did say Private in large unfriendly letters, it would get us through the night.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sally of Hamble
Vessel Make/Model: Rival 41C
Hailing Port: Southampton
Crew: Pete & Lindsey Blow