Sally of Hamble

Sark to St. Peter Port via Moulin Huet

24 July 2016
That was the worse nights sleep ever! Just as we turned it the mist came rolling in. It was predicted so we were not surprised. However the pretty lighthouse detecting the reduced visibility set up its warning signal to passing ships. "Errnn errnn" every 30 seconds. We were going to have to tune that out. Around 2am the swell increased and we rocked and rolled so much I moved to the saloon and put up the lee cloth, managing to drift off until around 4am when things got dramatically worse and stuff started rattling in cupboards and falling off shelves. We were both awake. I put things away and stowed everything and climbed back into bed with the tidal atlas. We were going to move but where to and when. 6am would give us favourable tide to the SE corner of Guernsey. Any later and we would meet 3 knots coming the other way. We got up and made ready, slipped the buoy and motored round, peanut butter sandwiches on the way, 9 miles in one hour, arriving in Moulin Huet, another beautiful bay with rocks as painted by Renoir. We dropped the anchor and watched. It wasn't holding. And the swell was working into this bay too! After 6 days at anchorage we had had enough and wanted a good nights sleep. We pulled up the anchor and headed for St Peter Port, mooring up inside the basin before 9am with water and electric.

A busy day already but it was lovely to wash down Sally and Pops in fresh water, top up the tanks, recharge the batteries and do all the laundry. By the time Andrea and Tony arrived that evening I was already asleep in bed.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sally of Hamble
Vessel Make/Model: Rival 41C
Hailing Port: Southampton
Crew: Pete & Lindsey Blow