Sally of Hamble

East Cowes to Newtown Creek

04 June 2018
Weather: overcast and muggy, wind NE 4, occasionally 5

Today’s main task is to get all the rubbish and grime out of the fuel tanks. We had run them deliberately low at the end of last season so Sally didn’t weigh too much in the crane when she was lifted out but having empty fuel tanks means the diesel bug
thrives in all that oxygen and there was lots of nasty stuff in the corners of the tanks. Once the access hatches are opened, we have a process of fishing around with a tube while sucking up the dirty fuel into an old oil can and then filtering it through kitchen roll back into the tank. It is a long process in confined spaces and the port tank requires me to grip the old oil can between my thighs while stand precariously on tip toe and Pete fishes about in the tank below. Inevitably diesel gets everywhere. This is my least favourite way to spend a day on a boat. However both tanks are now the cleanest they have ever been and after availing ourselves of the excellent marina showers we filled up with 480 litres of fresh diesel and left the Medina at 15:30 feeling a lot more ship shape.

Since it was now late in the day to set off on a long passage, we modified our plan and decided to go to Newtown Creek just 6 miles east. There was a stiff breeze and after 3 days baking in the sun, we now needed jumpers and jackets. Turning down wind we unfurled the Genoa and turned off the engine. Sailing at last and with a following tide we were easily making 6 knots over the ground.

Newtown Creek has a difficult entrance but is clearly marked with leading lines so, with a bit of concentration, we navigated in and found a free mooring buoy, tied up and celebrated a successful day with a beer while reviewing all the things we are rusty on. It seems a very long time since we’ve been sailing but I’m sure we will soon be back in the grove.

A lovely evening in the creek with corned beef hash, a bottle of red and my ukulele.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sally of Hamble
Vessel Make/Model: Rival 41C
Hailing Port: Southampton
Crew: Pete & Lindsey Blow