Sally of Hamble

Newtown Creek to Poole Harbour

05 June 2018

Weather: grey & moody, wind NE 4 reducing later

There is a tidal gate at hurst castle which was closed after 7:30 am until 4pm. We didn’t fancy getting up early so decided to stay put on our mooring buoy until later in the day. The weather outside our cockpit tent looked cold and blustery and we spent the morning getting on with admin tasks. Newtown Creek surprisingly has 4G access so no issues getting online and we were soon finished.

At the appointed time, one hour before the gate opens at Hurst, we slipped our mooring line and motored slowly out towards the solent. The gap to get out is less than 80 m across with shallow beaches either side. As we approached I could see the sand beneath the water and could not believe we would get across it. Pete, having navigated in yesterday was more confident so on we went. As we crossed through and into deeper water, all I had seen was sand being picked up by the current and swirling on the surface. If was very disconcerting.

Then on past Hurst Castle, through the Needles Channel and out across Christchurch Bay. The lovely wind of this morning had dropped off but we managed to motor sail to our destination. We arrived at Poole Harbour at 6:30pm and motored carefully across the shallow mud flats towards one of our favourite anchorages just off Goat Horn Point. Supper and then bed ready for an early start tomorrow.

Today’s photos of the sunset over Brownsea Island.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sally of Hamble
Vessel Make/Model: Rival 41C
Hailing Port: Southampton
Crew: Pete & Lindsey Blow