Salt & Light

Dennehy's Set Sail

15 October 2009 | Seattle - not Belize :(
12 August 2009 | Seattle WA
05 July 2009 | Sacramento CA
19 June 2009 | Gulf of Mexico
27 May 2009 | Cay Ambergris Belize
17 May 2009 | Turneffe Islands Belize
08 May 2009 | Rio Dulce
30 April 2009 | Rio Dulce
15 April 2009 | Roatan, Honduras
02 April 2009 | Guanaja Honduras
23 March 2009 | Providencia, Columbia
10 March 2009 | Panama City
09 March 2009 | Panama city
16 February 2009 | Eastern Holandes
08 February 2009 | Green Island, San Blas
23 January 2009 | Cartagena
06 January 2009 | Cartagena
23 December 2008 | Cartegena
10 December 2008 | Bonaire
07 December 2008 | Los Roques VZ

life in the big city

06 January 2009 | Cartagena
Denny
The Christmas season has come to a close and though it was not white like Seattle had, it was a great one. Cartegena is a perfect place for an adventurous way to celebrate or Savior's birth. Loads of old and beautiful cathedrals and festive decorations all around the old town really made for a grand spectacle. And the mall. Yes, the mall, and Michaela was in heaven. She and Rennie spent an afternoon shopping and found a lovely fun dress. The mall is very new and modern with loads of fancy shops, a nice food court, ice cream, great coffee, ...

Of course the coffee is great here. After all this is the home of Juan Valdez! Yes, there is a Juan Valdez brand complete with its own nice café and the coffee is awesome. Coffee street vendors are everywhere selling 'tinto', which is a very strong sweetened coffee. They carry several full thermos's around and serve it up in tiny cups. Very easy and very cheap to keep the caffeine flowing all day long!

So how was Christmas on the boat you ask? It was great. Santa found us with no problem whatsoever and the kids had a blast. One evening we went to a Christmas concert in one of the cathedrals. About 120 kids sang and danced. We recognized a song or two but not the words! A very nice lady saw us standing on the side and took the small kids by hand and brought them to sit with other kids right up front and center. She came back, smiled and babbled something in very fast Spanish that I could only smile back at. Some things require no interpretation.

We had Christmas dinner with the crews of Independence, Uliad, Coqueliocot, and Terra Vana at a lovely restaurant set in the corner of an old fort overlooking the anchorage. White table cloths and the whole she-bang. Even a great little band playing lovely music. Ethan fell asleep in my lap and a couple of waiters set up a bed for him of two chairs and a bunch of table cloths for pillows and blankets.

New Year's Eve was spent with the adults on Independence and the kids next door on Uliad. Being unsure of our ability to make it to midnight we were quite surprised when we finally went home around 3:30am, long after a great fire-works display. Everyone had a great time and no one stirred on Salt & Light until 11 in the morning.

We (meaning Rennie), are now busy with getting school fired up again. I get to concentrate on boat projects such as re-bedding all the portlights. At least as much as my elbow allows. 'Tennis elbow' had been driving me nuts (yes I know, it is a short drive. And no we don't play tennis!). Thankfully Steve on Uliad is an MD and he was kind enough to offer a treatment of 'needle fenestration' to promote proper healing of the tendon. Let's just say I should have had a few belts of rum before be jabbed away. He says as long as I don't overdo it, all should be better in about a month. Oh yes, and Ethan lost one of his front teeth. He tried to keep it in as long as possible but a kick from Sammy while they were on a trampoline finished it off!

A very happy, prosperous, and truly Blessed new year to all of you from all of us! And now it's time to go find a tinto vendor!
Comments
Vessel Name: Salt & Light
Vessel Make/Model: '99 Beneteau 44cc
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA
Crew: Denis, Rennie, Michaela, Liam and Ethan

The Adventure Has Begun!!

Who: Denis, Rennie, Michaela, Liam and Ethan
Port: Seattle, WA