Salt & Light

Dennehy's Set Sail

15 October 2009 | Seattle - not Belize :(
12 August 2009 | Seattle WA
05 July 2009 | Sacramento CA
19 June 2009 | Gulf of Mexico
27 May 2009 | Cay Ambergris Belize
17 May 2009 | Turneffe Islands Belize
08 May 2009 | Rio Dulce
30 April 2009 | Rio Dulce
15 April 2009 | Roatan, Honduras
02 April 2009 | Guanaja Honduras
23 March 2009 | Providencia, Columbia
10 March 2009 | Panama City
09 March 2009 | Panama city
16 February 2009 | Eastern Holandes
08 February 2009 | Green Island, San Blas
23 January 2009 | Cartagena
06 January 2009 | Cartagena
23 December 2008 | Cartegena
10 December 2008 | Bonaire
07 December 2008 | Los Roques VZ

in the lair of the 'dog'

10 March 2009 | Panama City
Denny
Every now and then life comes full circle, and it's a beautiful thing. Tonight we slumber in Jeff Remily's apartment. Yes, Jeff of 'girlie-man,' 'Rem-dog' fame, and one of the original founding father's of B.O.B.. Several things are unique about this. One of course is that we are hangin' with Jeff in Panama City, 18 floors up above the din and roar of the city, overlooking the Pacific Ocean, (almost two years in the Caribbean and after a 2 hour drive across Panama we are looking at the Pacific, tides and all). The other is that we are off the boat for a few nights, which hasn't happened other than our visit home in September. Jeff is great and desperately missing his wife and kid's, who should be moving to Panama from Hawaii in about a month. We will miss Tanya, Jake and Jordyn but look forward to catching up someday soon.

We arrived to Shelter Bay Marina about a week ago, after several weeks of loving the San Blas Islands. We had a great couple of stops along the way, including Portobello, which was founded by Columbus and became a famous transfer point for all the gold headed for Spain. It was quite popular with pirates as well.

The Shelter Bay Marina is located on the grounds of the former US base, Fort Sherman. The jungle is slowly taking over all the grounds, but the marina is brand new. It makes for an interesting contrast as you walk past the pool and several minutes later you are deep in the jungle walking past gun batteries rapidly being overgrown. Jeff and his coworker George came over for a visit and we all had a grand time. Jeff brought his guiiitar and we managed to mangle our way through a few Grateful Dead classics before a neighbor boat came over and asked us to please shut up as he was leaving early AM. Some people just have no appreciation for art.

We had so much fun we decided to rent a car and come to big Panama City for the weekend. Much pork and beef was sacrificed. Bacon wrapped asparagus, bacon wrapped mushrooms, bacon wrapped filet mignon... you get the picture. We did have some veggies, but not enough to get in the way.

One or two nights stretched into three so we could do some inland exploring and serious grocery shopping (Costco style!). Our inland trip was a couple hour drive up into the mountains to a town called El Valle. It was a beautiful town with lots of flowers and a renowned framers market. However, we came for the zip-line at Canopy Adventures. One of Rennie's 'bucket list' items for this trip was to do a zip-line through the jungle canopy. Mission accomplished. It was awesome! Nothing like free falling through the jungle across waterfalls! I'm not sure but I think I heard a Tarzan yell or two!

We all had a great time staying with Jeff and George, and the kids almost had their fill of TV. Another highlight was getting to see our new friends aboard m/v Seven C's. They had gone through the locks a few days ago and were still here in Panama City. We had a great afternoon hanging out with them, and are hoping they turn back through the canal and cruise north with us. Either way we are sure to see them again somewhere!

Our time here in the big city is done and now we must go! All we need is weather window to start off towards the great white north!
Comments
Vessel Name: Salt & Light
Vessel Make/Model: '99 Beneteau 44cc
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA
Crew: Denis, Rennie, Michaela, Liam and Ethan

The Adventure Has Begun!!

Who: Denis, Rennie, Michaela, Liam and Ethan
Port: Seattle, WA