Sanderling's Adventures

03 May 2015
27 March 2015
13 March 2015 | George Town
25 February 2015 | Exumas
12 February 2015 | Black Point, Exumas, Bahamas
12 February 2015 | Black Point, Exumas, Bahamas
02 February 2015 | North Bimini, Bahamas
24 January 2015 | Lake Sylvia, Fort Lauderdale
17 December 2014
07 December 2014
03 December 2014
20 November 2014
04 November 2014
28 October 2014
20 October 2014
18 October 2014 | Deltaville, VA
14 October 2014 | Great Wicomico River

What Chrisy left out...

16 September 2013 | Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard
Chrisy's account of our trip from Jamestown to Edgartown makes is sound like some idyllic sail on the bay which for the most part it was. What she failed to mention was that Roger put the wrong waypoint in the GPS and we were heading perilously close to Schuyler's Ledge and up Buzzard's Bay before I realized my error. No problem.

Then as we headed up Vineyard Sound we learned a new criteria for "healing over." Most sailors feel that when they get the "rail in the water" they are healing over. With our dinghy in the arch we now know that when we dip the bow of the dinghy in the water we are healing over. Chrisy finds her special way of letting me know that she thinks it's now time to reduce the sail. Things calmed down a bit and we were fine with the sails that we had up, but thank God some little angel was sitting on my shoulder as we passed through Vineyard Haven Harbor and told me to take down the gennie. As we passed East Chop and headed for Edgartown the breeze filled to a steady 25 and we would have had too much sail up. After my slight morning mistake with the navigation it was nice to have made a good (lucky) call.

We had a wonderful one-day stay in Edgartown visiting with John Brittain. Casey was loving life as he had some monster walks. He's beginning to expect having each of us with him 24/7 and he gets a little fussy if one of us isn't around. It's pretty cute.

The sail to Nantucket started as a motoring in very light breezes. Fortunately we had waited in Edgartown for the favorable current - oh and to make sure that Casey got a nice walk - and by the time we got to Nantucket Sound there was a nice southwest breeze of 15-18 knots that brought us right to the harbor.

Finally, the only issue that Chrisy and I have had is the pungent odor that the continuation of my Keens and my orthotics give off. It must be some sort of chemical reaction between the two. At any rate the Keens/orthotics have been banished to the cockpit - never to go below - and now i clean my feet with "wet-ones" which so far have been magical. At least I haven't been banished to the cockpit.

Returned to Edgartown on Monday motor sailing in a headwind and dodging a storm. Tomorrow we are planning a long trip to Block Island with very favorable winds and current.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sanderling
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 45
Hailing Port: Jamestown, RI

Port: Jamestown, RI