I must go down to the sea

11 January 2014 | Three hummock island
06 January 2014
04 January 2014
03 January 2014
03 January 2014
01 January 2014
29 December 2013
29 December 2013 | Hobsons Bay Yacth Club
26 February 2013 | Mooloolaba Queensland
12 April 2012 | Port Phillip Bay, Victoria
12 April 2012 | Shepherd's Bay, Hunter Island
09 April 2012 | Strahan
04 April 2012 | Strahan
02 April 2012 | Spain Bay, Port Davey
02 April 2012 | Schooner Cove, Bathurst Channel
02 April 2012 | Moulter's Inlet, Bathurst Harbour
02 April 2012 | Moulter's Inlet, Bathurst Harbour
02 April 2012 | Clayton's Corner, Bathurst Channel
02 April 2012 | Clatyon's Corner, Bathurst HArbour
02 April 2012 | Clayton's Corner, Bathurst Harbour

A new yacht club (march 23)

02 April 2012 | Clayton's Corner, Bathurst Channel
Well we have had horizontal rain on this trip, and now we have had horizontal hail. During the night last night, there were several heavy hail showers, and it has been hailing and raining on and off all day today. The maximum temperature in sandpiper's cabin was 10 degrees. The winds are still westerly and still blowing at 20 to 30 knots. We have had strong or gale wind warnings for the last 4 days and it is not over yet. It is very lucky for us that at the end of the jetty to which we are tied is a small house that once belonged to a local crayfisherman (Clyde Clayton) and which is now maintained by a group of volunteers for the use of yachties, fisherman, and bush walkers. We spent most of the day up there in front of the fire, drying clothes and playing scrabble. We also established the Clayton's Corner Yacht Club (CCYC) of which Phil is the Commodore. There is now a smart sign on the mantelpiece of the house, and a tin for membership fees which we hope will be put towards maintenance of the house (club rooms). In his foraging for firewood, Phil found a 4 metre Huon pine tree not 25 metres from the house. The weather situation is starting to get desparate.  It seems like we might be here for at least another 5 or 6 days before it would be reasonable to make a run for anywhere. The locals are saying that this is more like winter weather patterns and saying that it has not been like this at this time of the year for at least 8 years. Due to the generosity of one of the other boats, Lesley was able to call Reece tonight to let him know that we have not disappeared, and check all is ok at home. Being completely out of touch for this long is a bad feeling. It is now about 8.30 and the only thing left for us to get into bed and read to keep warm.
Comments
Vessel Name: Paseafique
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 44
Hailing Port: Hobson's Bay, Melbourne
Crew: Phil and Lesley
About: We have been racing and sailing as a couple for a number of years, including circumnavagating Tasmania in our previous boat Sandpiper.
Extra: I must go down to the seas again to the vagrant gipsy life, To the gull's way and the whales way where the wind's like a whetted knife; And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover, and quite sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
Paseafique 's Photos - Main
8 Photos
Created 12 April 2012
11 Photos
Created 9 April 2012
21 Photos
Created 4 April 2012
41 Photos
Created 3 April 2012
9 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
24 Photos
Created 27 February 2012
13 Photos
Created 27 February 2012