ARRRGGG!!!

A history of the equipment I have broken, the money I have squandered, and the compromising situations I have put myself and others in while sailing.

10 November 2008 | Lanier
10 November 2008 | 34 10'52N 84 00'16W
09 November 2008 | Lake Lanier
08 November 2008 | Atlanta, GA
08 November 2008 | Lake Lanier

Sink or Swim

09 November 2008 | Lake Lanier
After some toying with the deck, locating and installing a used mast and rigging, i picked up the remaining essentials, a motor, battery, etc.

One important test had to be passed before the real fun...better make sure she floats!

Our plan was to take her to the boat ramp at Tidwell Access, on the west side of Lanier, drop her in, and park the truck. If she was still floating we'd jump in and take her for a spin. If she wasn't floating, we'd get back in the truck and drive off before anybody noticed.

As luck would have it we had our first sail that day. Of course, one good turn deserves a wicked one...and damn if that storm didn't roll up fast! The wind was getting spirited and the sails livened up. We hit a bout 20*'s of heel. I was having a ball, so when Lesleigh drew my attention the oncoming squall i did my best to assure her it was passing to our west.

It took about three minutes before it was on top of us. Pelting rain drops. 30 knot gusts. Brilliant lightning patterns lit the sky. What comes next is probably more interesting text, in the intrest of not appearing totally inept, i will omit the details. However, while we huddled in the cabin, beached on at golf course's shore, waiting out the lightning and staying away from everything metal...we managed to select which piece of equipment would be our next acquisition...an anchor.

Here is a picture of me freezing after the storm passed.
Comments
Vessel Name: Shazam!
Vessel Make/Model: Clark San Juan 21
Hailing Port: Lakewood Heights, Atlanta
Crew: Kenan Suberk
Extra: Founding Member, Lakewood Yacht Club. "The only yacht club on 22 inch rims!"
Home Page: Shazam!

Who: Kenan Suberk
Port: Lakewood Heights, Atlanta