Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

29 April 2009 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Abaco
Mike
April 27th.... Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Abacos

I ran into town this morning at around 9 am to drop off a bag of garbage. Garbage times here are limited to 8:30- 9:30 on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and it seems to work well. Everything is hauled away immediately at 9:30 and there is no lingering mess.

The wind is still blowing between 20 and 30 knots here but is supposed to begin moderating a little in the next few days. We'll probably head to Marsh Harbor on Wednesday and then begin to work toward the northern islands.

We might be able to pass the Whale on Friday and attend the festival in Green Turtle Saturday.

We spent most of the morning reading and but went to shore for some lunch and a hike around town. Most of the roads are closed to traffic. People who live there are allowed to drive golf carts but no cars. Streets are barely wide enough for the carts. The alleys that connect the upper streets to the lower streets are connected are narrow sidewalks that cut through the peoples yards, many of which are in constant bloom.

Returning to the boat we continued our books and watched the daily charter boats come in the harbor to try to pick up a mooring. This can be quite entertaining-and scary.

I cooked some chicken, made biscuits and gravy, and Kathy put together a salad. We both ate too much but I am getting closer to making better biscuits.

We watched an episode "Gary the Explorer." Gary is a bartender at the Hope Town Harbor Lodge and a would-be science teacher. He and some friends have made a series of science films that follow the Bahamian curriculum. They are interesting and much better than I expected.


April 26th.... Hope Town, Elbow Cay

Today was one of those days where very little happened. Nothing is open here on Sunday and so we stayed aboard and read. I finished one book, started another and completed a couple of crossword puzzles.

Kathy spent time weaving and reading.

I did fry some cheesy grits that were tasty with eggs. We had left-over pizza for lunch and pork chops for dinner.

We did leave the boat for a while and drove over to "Solitaire" for a visit before dinner.

It was a nice lazy day....

Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere