Sareda - The Voyage

07 July 2013 | Porto Santo
18 June 2013 | Ayamonte
12 May 2013 | Morocco
10 September 2012 | La Linea
19 August 2012 | Portosin
02 July 2012 | Falmouth
04 April 2010
09 February 2010 | Grenada
05 February 2008
26 November 2007 | Lanzarote
30 October 2007
23 October 2007
06 September 2007
30 August 2007 | Pavoa de Varzim

Lanzarote

30 October 2007
Lin/Paul
Lin...............

GRACIOSA cont..........

We delayed leaving Graciosa on Sunday due to strong easterly winds gusting 7/8 especially first thing in the morning. By the afternoon it had dropped so we planned to leave the next morning - but this happened three days running.

Whilst waiting for the winds to improve we saw a steel boat "Fair Grace" that had been lifted out of the water for maintenance. We stopped to chat to her owner, another Peter, and discussed his really sea-worthy looking boat that could withstand a few knocks on the reefs. When we asked him where in England he hailed from we were a little surp-rised when he said Exeter - again we were reminded what a small world we live in. He actually comes from Longdown, just outside of Exeter where a good friend and ex-neighbour of mine, Lindsey Bibey, lives with her partner Stewart.

Peter's wife, at present in Italy, is also a sufferer of 'Mal de Mer' - more tablets have been given to try - if they only prevent the occasional person from suffering as I have in the past I will be pleased.

GRACIOSA - LANZAROTE via the Atlantic

On Wednesday 24th October we set off at 11am for Tenerife - the NW2 wind was very slight but we made 2 � - 3 � knots average. It was wonderful sailing, hardly any movement and beautiful hot sunshine with just enough wind to prevent me from being too hot.

We had decided on Tenerife, 145 miles away, intending to start our return trip on the 1st November making short day passages - against the wind via Gran Canaria and Fuertaventura to Lanzarote, where Lucy and Bethan with Lucy's friend Hazel are arriving on the 11th November. They are staying in Costa Teguise in an hotel, the cost of the package, including a weeks car hire, was as little as our air-fares - unfortunately we over estimated the time of our arrival in the Canaries and on hindsight it would have been better for them to go to Tenerife and we could have cruised slowly South through Lanzarote, Fuertaventura and Gran Canaria.

As the evening drew in the wind increased and we were making 4/5 knots.

Paul.............................

After some wonderful sailing after leaving Graciosa bound for Tenerife, the evening brought variable and often slack winds. Our speed dropped but to avoid starting the engine we waited for the wind to return which it did but from the West, virtually the way
we were going. We battled on into the wind and seas which were now steadily moving against us and, by morning, we were both tired and uncomfortable with average speed made down to under 3 knots and still over 80 miles to go. We decided jointly that enough was enough and that this was not pleasant sailing and, as we were cruising for pleasure rather than to make a passage, we turned around and headed back to Lanzarote, south part of the island, thus having the wind and sea with us.

We arrived in Playa Blanca at 10.30 at night but with a full moon and cloudless sky we edged our way into an anchorage off the beach where two other boats were already situated. We had to anchor clear of the ferry terminal and allow the ships room to manoeuvre.

The morning brought something of a shock after the solitude of La Graciosa, we were amidst a Spanish holiday resort with music, bright lights and garish restaurants along the front. We took the dinghy into the harbour in the afternoon and explored this seaside resort - or as one of our sailing colleagues said "rather like Disneyworld" - however it is always interesting to see the various ports and harbours and to enjoy the contrasts.

We walked to Marina Rubicon, just along the coast, where we plan to moor up for a couple of nights to make use of the facilities including topping up our water, exchanging gas cylinders and using the washing machines, showers and Wi-Fi.

Lin.............

Whilst anchored we saw a beautiful boat "Semsin" pull in and later we went over to see the owners Ton and Tonni from Holland. "Semsin" was a Hans Christian design and we were invited aboard to look below - we felt this would be an intrusion as they had only just arrived so they said to come the following day.

The next afternoon we went aboard and had a very pleasant afternoon. Ton was a retired GP and Tonni a retired university lecturer - their English, as usual for other Europeans, was impeccable. Their boat was superb both above and below and they had the added attraction of a de-salination water maker making 32 litres of fresh water daily which serviced their on board shower and provided hot fresh water for the laundry, thus enabling them to anchor in all but very bad weather. They were a lovely couple and we enjoyed their company tremendously.

Whilst ashore we discovered the first Indian restaurant since leaving England and as we both love curries we decided to treat ourselves.

At the next table were an English couple who had just moved into a new detached house on the island and had recently been presented with their first grandchild, Joshua. By the end of the evening we had been invited to attend their house-warming party two days later.

Their names were Simon and Mina and they insisted on collecting us by car from the marina at 2.30. We had a wonderful afternoon and evening and met many new people - Mina had even gone to the trouble of getting vegetarian sausages for us to put on the barbeque which was next to the swimming pool, and overlooked the channel between Lanzarote and Fuertaventura. We came home by taxi arriving back at the boat ready for bed having had a really enjoyable evening. If you are reading this, Simon & Mina, thank you again for a lovely afternoon and evening.


Comments
Vessel Name: Sareda
Vessel Make/Model: Trident Voyager 35
Hailing Port: Dartmouth
Crew: Lin and Paul
About:
Having retired in April of 2007, Lin and Paul are setting out on a once in a lifetime voyage. Paul, a retired Professional Musician, has sailed for much of his 62 years and is an RYA Yachtmaster. [...]
Extra:
Sareda is a long keeled GRP sailing sloop built in Southampton UK in 1979. We have upgraded her over the last 6 years adding wind vane steering, cutter rig, holding tanks, electric anchor winch, radar and many other smaller items that add to her comfort, sailability and safety. She sails well and [...]
Sareda's Photos - Sareda - The Voyage (Main)
Falmouth to the Med.
8 Photos
Created 14 July 2012
The start of our cruise including some of the islands we visited.
36 Photos
Created 8 March 2010
Our arrival back in Trinidad - preparation of the boat and departure to Grenada.
10 Photos
Created 5 March 2010
Our photos from when we left through France, Spain, Portugal, Madeira and Canaries
157 Photos
Created 5 March 2010
From Antigua to Trinidad
18 Photos
Created 8 July 2008
Cape Verdes and the Caribbean
50 Photos
Created 19 January 2008