Savarna

Savarna of New Zealand

Who: Keith & Pam Goodall
Port: Auckland, New Zealand

Cagliari to Palma

12 August 2012
We stopped over for a second night in Cagliari and tried to donate our old boom (strapped to the port side deck) to the marina as they had many artefacts (as in old boat junk) on display. That proved an unsuccessful exercise so the boom was clearly destined to be carried to the next port. Cagliari did have a certain charm and although a port town, the old town with its winding alley ways and outdoor cafes provided an interesting backdrop and we enjoyed our explorations. There is a good marina setup right on the town waterfront that would have been better for us to stay at although there were no facilities and it is prone to ferry wash.


Working en route

We had an early visit to the fuel jetty on 10th August and then enjoyed a brisk sail out of Cagliari down the coast fro about 20 miles and then westwards along the southern coast of Sardinia - destination Palma (on Majorca) again another 350 mile passage. Not many boats around but many lovely looking anchorages that looked like an area worthy of a few days exploration. After a few hours we cleared the SW corner of Sardinia and found 25 knots on the nose. We settled down for a blast to windward, not heading to Palma unfortunately but a good windward bash. For the first time since leaving Malta we could wind the rig up and get the mainsail really working - and it looks superb.

By nightfall the wind had died away, the sea was starting to subside and the iron sail was called into service. A couple of days, early morning, approaching the coast at the SE end of Majorca we came across a couple of good looking anchorages and decided to drop anchor, have breakfast and a swim. As it was a Saturday we saw little point in going into Palma so moved along the coast and anchored at Esanda De Sa Rapito. Dozens of boats at anchor and obviously a very popular weekend area for boats out of Palma.


Approaching Esanda De Sa Rapito

The following day, Sunday 12th August we had a leisurely sail for the 30 miles into Palma. Plenty of yachts to sail against but the highlight coming across the expanse of Palma Bay was to have the restored America's Cup yacht (J4) Endeavour, built in 1934 and restored in New Zealand at a cost of no doubt many millions, sailing to windward under full sail - what a great sight.


Endeavour in Palma Bay

The approach into Palma is notable because of the imposing cathedral standing watch over the city and bay. We had a couple of days here at the extraordinary price of EUR204 a night for a place to tie up and utilise shore power.


Approaching Palma

The local Spectra agents who I had emailed from Cagliari were very efficient, knew the equipment well and had the watermaker running again within 30 minutes.
Having spent 3 years cruising in the western Med we found ourselves in a city with gardens, clean streets, mown grass burges and all up a welcome change of scenery. Last time here we had fallen into that famous bar of flowers, fruit, waiters in tails and opera - none other then La Bacca. Sort of reminds you of what the emperor's court may have been like in Roman times. Palma was humming - difficult to find a place to have dinner but eventually did manage that and then to La Bacca for that cocktail. Palma deservedly has the rightful reputation of being the yachting centre in the Med and judging by the vast number of boats, and many enormous ones, that is a correct view. A great place if you can grimace and ignore the marina fees. We wandered around the shopping areas, finally got set up with sim cards that worked well and Pam tracked down the hot Spanish clothing that I had heard so much of since she discovered it in Leipzig. This is none other than Desigual (the "s" is backwards in the logo but that defeats this computer keyboard)- google it.


Shopping in Palma

As a very reluctant shopper I got dragged into the Palma store, as a reluctant shopper at the best of times but have to admit coming out on closing time a few hundred dollars poorer.

Cheers
Keith & Pam
Comments
Vessel Name: Savarna
Vessel Make/Model: Hanse 531
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: Keith & Pam Goodall
About:
We took delivery of Savarna ( a hindu word meaning "daughter of the ocean") from the Hanse yard in Griefswald, on the Baltic, in June 2005. The first season we sailed via the south coast of England and wintered over at Denia in Spain. [...]
Extra: Earlier blog postings can be seen on www.yotblog.co.uk/savarna

Savarna of New Zealand

Who: Keith & Pam Goodall
Port: Auckland, New Zealand