Savarna

Savarna of New Zealand

Who: Keith & Pam Goodall
Port: Auckland, New Zealand

Cartagena/Cartagena

07 November 2012
It is now 7th November, pouring with rain (and forecast to continue with heavy rain through to Gibraltar for the rest of the week), cold and we are still at Cartagena. The good news is that the job list has been completed and the boat is completely ready for the ARC and the Atlantic crossing. We have completed a couple of major supermarket runs and are now well stocked with dry goods - all that is left will be to stock up with fresh vegetables and meat in Las Palmas.

While at the diesel wharf a J1445 (Ace) arrived to refuel and they to are on their way to the Canaries for the ARC. Smart looking boat - 7 on board! Nice new main and carbon fibre rig.

Roly Lennox-King arrived on Saturday and as the Ryanair plane was early he taxied into Cartagena while Pat was on his way to the airport in the rental car to collect him!


Roly relaxes on board


Pat as barman

We have done some modest sighseeing around this old town established in the 1st century BC with many roman ruins to view.


Roman amphitheatre in old town

We departed the marina at 0900 hrs yesterday headed for the diesel wharf and then to the Canaries. We immediately found that the newly installed wind gear was not working! A call to Raul brought him to the diesel wharf within 5 minutes and then started a 3 hour diagnosis including three trips, in the rain, to the top of the mast. Finally it was found that one wire of the five strand wire had broken away from the plug fitting at the top of the mast. A new cable has been ordered and it is due here today - from Holland. So hopefully it arrives today as we do need to depart this afternoon to get through the Straits by Friday morning.

In the meantime the fifth cruise ship to arrive here in the last week has berthed. Not a good day for the tourists.


Two cruise ships in the other day

Cheers
Keith & Pam
Comments
Vessel Name: Savarna
Vessel Make/Model: Hanse 531
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: Keith & Pam Goodall
About:
We took delivery of Savarna ( a hindu word meaning "daughter of the ocean") from the Hanse yard in Griefswald, on the Baltic, in June 2005. The first season we sailed via the south coast of England and wintered over at Denia in Spain. [...]
Extra: Earlier blog postings can be seen on www.yotblog.co.uk/savarna

Savarna of New Zealand

Who: Keith & Pam Goodall
Port: Auckland, New Zealand