Savarna

Savarna of New Zealand

Who: Keith & Pam Goodall
Port: Auckland, New Zealand

Cartagena to Gibraltar

08 November 2012
It is now 0430 hrs, Friday 9th November, and we are off the famous rock of the Gibraltar variety. Surrounded by electrical storms and heavy rain - just as forecast. And it has been on all night as we duck and dive among the numerous ships seemingly waiting for a cargo or plying their trade.
Raul arrived with the new cable for the anemometer on Wednesday 7th, was up the mast (again in the rain) and it was installed in no time. And even better it worked. We departed Cartagena at 1515 hrs bound for Lanzarote the northern most island in the Canaries, a passage of around 950 miles. It was still raining an cold when we left Cartagena and within a few miles off the coast picked up the strong NE's again as forecast. First night at seas - blew 30-32 knots all night with gusts to the high 30's. Sailing at 150 degrees off the wind mostly on auto pilot although it could not handle the gusts. Several disasters - the end block on the self tracking headsail track blew apart, the headsail cars went flying into the air (still connected to the sheet) but went straight through the bottom panel of the jib. It is too big a tear for us repair on board so to the sail loft in Las Palmas. Fast sailing all night, lots of 10's and 11's under a reefed mainsail only but a big rolling sea so pretty uncomfortable. Dinner was a few muesli bars!
Shortly afterwards a few involuntarily gybes and blew the top of the block that runs the 4:1 purchase on the vang. Temporary repair job done under deck lights. In the morning found that the new stainless plate supplied with the new vang had buckled at the base - those gybes certainly put a huge pressure on the gear particularly when uncontrolled.
Also some issues with the boom fittings, around the gooseneck, identified that we can hopefully alter when we get to Las Palmas.
So a really good test run and it is as well to sort out the issues now rather than just after the start of the ARC.
Day 2 - actually got sunny although as it dawned dullish and with some early snow on the Sierra Nevadas.


Dusting of snow on the Sierra Nevadas, and plastic covered vegetable growing shelters in foreground

Second night - much quieter although wind now in ESE. Rolling seas still prevail and wind up to the low 20's although after the fronts go through nothing much so it is to the iron sail for assistance.
Day - about to dawn, looks dreadful although we should be clear of the Straits by around 0800 hrs - we are just hitting the straits at low water which seems to be against accepted wisdom in terms of a quick passage so we will hug the Spanish shoreline and hope to pick up a counter current which is mentioned in the book.
The Predictwind model we are running has us going out to sea for some miles to hook into a NW'erly and hopefully then a fast run down the Moroccan coast. Have yet to decide whether to call into Agadi in Morocco and drive up to Marrekesh or go straight through to Lanzarote.
Cheers
Pam & Keith
Comments
Vessel Name: Savarna
Vessel Make/Model: Hanse 531
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: Keith & Pam Goodall
About:
We took delivery of Savarna ( a hindu word meaning "daughter of the ocean") from the Hanse yard in Griefswald, on the Baltic, in June 2005. The first season we sailed via the south coast of England and wintered over at Denia in Spain. [...]
Extra: Earlier blog postings can be seen on www.yotblog.co.uk/savarna

Savarna of New Zealand

Who: Keith & Pam Goodall
Port: Auckland, New Zealand