Savarna

Savarna of New Zealand

Who: Keith & Pam Goodall
Port: Auckland, New Zealand

ARC 2012 Day 5

02 December 2012
Wind still SE (120) between 25 & 30 knots. 100% cloud cover today and 75% last night. Frequent rain squalls. Pam is wondering why we are enjoying the sailing as we blast along sailing at apparent 140 degrees between 9 and 13 knots. Handlebar (steering) control overnight was a bit of a challenge for all steerers with a full main and all headsail - finally out to starboard as we progress on a port tack.

Early afternoon today we dropped the first reef into the main as wind strength increased to 32 knots the rides to 13.5 knots were great though! Shortly afterwards we decided that a second reef was necessary and furled in half the headsail. No point in pushing the boat too hard at this stage.
No happy hour in the cockpit tonight.

We gather from June that we are well to the north compared to the fleet overall however we continue to follow the Predict Wind weather routing reports. Jon I hope that forecast showing the wind moving to the east in a couple of days does occur as once that happens we will be sailing under genaker in 10 -15 knots with the wind on the beam for us fast sailing into St Lucia. Still we have 1614 miles to go and quite a few days so anything can happen.

We had a big strike a couple of day's back after 15 minutes and around 200 metres of line out the fish won and the line broke. It was about then that we found plenty of other lures but a marked shortage of replacement line.

To date we have sailed 1107 miles in 5 days 8 hours so making good average speed. Still 1614 to go so not yet at the half way point so midnight tomorrow should see us pass the half way point.

For the Swedish readers Goran is a great asset on board and proving to be an excellent helmsman in sometime challenging helming conditions.

Cheers
Pam & Keith
Comments
Vessel Name: Savarna
Vessel Make/Model: Hanse 531
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: Keith & Pam Goodall
About:
We took delivery of Savarna ( a hindu word meaning "daughter of the ocean") from the Hanse yard in Griefswald, on the Baltic, in June 2005. The first season we sailed via the south coast of England and wintered over at Denia in Spain. [...]
Extra: Earlier blog postings can be seen on www.yotblog.co.uk/savarna

Savarna of New Zealand

Who: Keith & Pam Goodall
Port: Auckland, New Zealand