Savarna

Savarna of New Zealand

Who: Keith & Pam Goodall
Port: Auckland, New Zealand

Sailing, sailing, sailing and the green flash

04 January 2014
Since arriving back on board on the evening of 23rd December it has been a case of sailing and more sailing. Anyway found the boat in good condition, caught up with John Pirovano, of Horizon Yachts who have done a superb job of looking after Savarna while we have been away.

As one does (taking a leaf out of Roly's book here) we walked down the marina shortly after arrival to look at other yachts and at the very end of the pontoon found Trinity (from Berlin) with Robert and Krestin on board. See www.trinity-berlin.com.

They were fellow ARC 2012 participants and were next to us on the marina in Las Palmas for a week before we crossed the pond. It was great to catch up with them and we spent Christmas Eve with them at the marina restaurant this being the big day for Germans (rather the Christmas Day itself. Later that night we had a huge electrical storm with continuous sheet lightning completely circling us for 2 hours or so. We were very nervous about taking a hit given our tall mast but were ok while Trinity must have taken a strike as their main power lead to the switch board was melted.

We should also mention that under Favourites on the left hand side of the screen the first line is called "Map and Tracking." If you click on that link it is a live track picked up by satellite off the boat and updated every 20 minutes - so pretty much real time. So while the blog may be slow to be updated at least family and friends can see exactly where we are.


Another squall approaches

The 24th we spent provisioning, getting local sim cards and sorting out Customs. The 25th and 26th were all about getting the boat together again, getting sails on etc. Christmas Day we had dinner at Peter de Savary's lovely Mount Cinnamon resort. on Grand Anse beach one of the best beaches we have ever seen. See www.mountcinnamongrenada.com. So a good evening, great music, plenty of dancing and had a glass of wine (or two!) - although we did think the chef must have chased the turkey around the island for a few months before it was caught and of course it is never the same without family around to share in the celebrations.

It was a late departure on the 27th as Customs closed for lunch in the middle of our clearance out so in the end we motored a few miles up the western coast of Grenada and anchored at Black Bay Point that is the last sheltered bay before the top of the island. It was good to get out of the marina and be on anchor. Then the sailing started - on the 28th to Bequia just south of St Vincent (but part of that country) a sail of 76 miles on the wind in 25 knots - did not quite lay Bequia and actually had to tack for a beat in on port for the last 7 miles. The 29th - a 71 mile sail on the wind to Rodney Bay, St Lucia also 25 knots all day long - almost home for us and where we finished the ARC in 2012. We were still tying off the marina lines when Ellen and Haakon from Koko (Norway) who we sailed the EMYR in 2010 with were calling from the stern. Great to see them again and they depart St Lucia on 11th January for the greatest adventure - the World ARC (a 12 month circumnavigation). See www.ko-ko.no.


Beautiful tropical palms

Also in Rodney Bay we took a day out of the sailing regime to attend to all those boat jobs that become apparent after a few days aboard. But we did manage to catch up with John and Karen off Senta and had breakfast with them before they headed off to Le Marin on Martinique to get some boat repairs completed. Unfortunately we will not see them again this trip but will catch up with them in Sydney - John has a Farr 1020 and a spare Porsche convertible in Sydney he said are available for our use any time we are there. Senta will be arriving in New Zealand later this year (via a delivery crew) and they plan to leave her at Gulf Harbour marina and cruise New Zealand waters for over the next summer.


Pam enjoys the tropical flowers

So New Years Eve saw us depart Rodney Bay for Prince Rupert Bay at the top of Dominica that turned into a 98 mile bash to windward in up to 33 knots and left Martinique to starboard. Arrived in the rain and darkness and called up on channel 16 for one of the boat boys to find a buoy for us. Needless after that exercise we were pretty tired and following a bottle of champagne and dinner we were asleep well before the midnight hour! What was nice the next morning was the Albert our guide etc from when we visited in 2013 came out to say hello to us! Surprisingly there were not many boats there and Albert said the season was just starting.


Tropical flowers at Deshaies

Since arriving in the Caribbean over a year ago we have constantly been on the lookout for the elusive green flash - this just tips the sun in the last second as it dips below the horizon. Well it might have been a long new years eve in the office but we were still sailing at sunset with a clear horizon and finally can tick the Yes box when the question is asked does the green flash really exist!

New years day saw a 50 mile sail with slightly eased sheets (thank god at last) but with several quite nasty squalls coming through, to Deshaies at the NW corner on Guadalopue. This is where the hit BBC series "Death in Paradise" is filmed and we did recognise one location. OK Rob I know that we are the only friends of yours that watch Downton Abbey and yeah we also watch Death in Paradise!! We pulled up and anchored next to Rob and Sarah on Sarafina who we have kept in email contact with since the EMYR in 2010. Rob was over a few minutes later and it was drinks on board Sarafina later that afternoon - reciprocated the following night on Savarna. It was great to see them again after three years and to exchange stories on our various experiences. Rob maintains probably the best and most informative yachting blog I have seen which contains a huge reference section. See www.rhbell.com. We also met friends they are cruising with Ian and Fiona on Ruffian who are also having a great adventure.


Deshaies scene familiar to Death in Paradise viewers

Deshaies is a delightful small town, a great bay for anchoring in and quite stunning botanical gardens built down a hillside and well worth a visit. Turtles swimming around the boat and flat calm despite the bay having a reputation as something out of the roaring 40's.


Deshaies

So from Deshaies it was a 51 mile glorious sail in 10 – 15 knots, on the beam, to Jolly Harbour on Antigua where we are at present and will meet up with friends joining us later this afternoon.

Cheers
Keith & Pam

Comments
Vessel Name: Savarna
Vessel Make/Model: Hanse 531
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: Keith & Pam Goodall
About:
We took delivery of Savarna ( a hindu word meaning "daughter of the ocean") from the Hanse yard in Griefswald, on the Baltic, in June 2005. The first season we sailed via the south coast of England and wintered over at Denia in Spain. [...]
Extra: Earlier blog postings can be seen on www.yotblog.co.uk/savarna

Savarna of New Zealand

Who: Keith & Pam Goodall
Port: Auckland, New Zealand